Sign in to follow this  
KnightFlyer

Flight planning

What do you need to know to plan a flight? What software do you use (except default fltplanner)? What things do I need to take into consideration?Thanx!:)

Well, it really depends on how accurate and realistic you want to be...If you are happy with a good route from airport A to airport B then some nice free planners are available - FsBuild, Fs Navigator, and so on... Bear in mind that in general this software knows absolutely nothing about one-way airways, route availability and level restrictions, Notams, etc. - that is the REAL stuff when planning.If you want planning like a pro you have two choices. The first is to get real-world planning tools or subscriptions (e.g. Jeppesen's FliteStar and JetPlanner, or the German Lido). There is a frequent -and welcome- user in this forum that ...ehm has access to one of these systems. This solution is in general very expensive for an Fs pilot.The second way is to plan your flight by yourself, using real-world charts, some skill and a good dose of dedication to the fine art of flight planning.To me this briefing is even more exciting than flying the flight itself. I use to validate my FPs at the Eurocontrol site, and when I get the "NO ERRORS" response it always is a joy.All the best.

Guest Panman

What's the addres for the eurocontrol site?paNMAn

You basically want to know:A. Where to depart, arriveB. How to get there (VFR, IFR, use VORs, NDBs, waypoints, etc.)C. What aircraft you want to flyhttp://nav.consequential.org - NAV is a great free flight planner. It's a little tough to get set up, so read the documents and you should be fine.You should take the above into consideration, as well as altitude (terrain avoidance), fuel, time, and weather.