Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

ILS Alignment

Everytime I use ILS to align my a/c with the runway, it always aligns me a bit to the left, with some sort of paralel runway, so in my final approach I have to do some last minute manual correction. Why does it happen? I tried it with all sorts of possible combinations, winds on or off, rain, thunderstorms, yaw dampers on or off, more fuel, less fuel... and by rule I'm always "left" aligned.For my flights I use either the default 737 or my PIC/POSky 767, but I noticed it happened even with other aircraft.Can it be corrected?Cheers!

Is it just one particular approach you are talking about, or all ILS approaches? Some approaches may not be lined up with the runway.Matt

All approaches, no exceptions...My last approachesFrankfurt (EDDF)Bras

There are a LOT of misaligned ILS's in FS2002 to be honest. Try the ILS Runway 01 approach into Washington National - you'll end up in the Potomac if you stay on the glideslope. Lubbock, Texas ILS Runway 17L is the same way with a screwed up glideslope. Thank goodness Microsoft hasn't bought out NOAA yet in the real world or it would be chaos :)

hmm, I think I did that approach once and noticed nothing wrong.The only problematical ILS I've found so far is at Charles de Gaulle in Paris where I ended up on a taxiway (and there I have some 3rd party scenery so I can't tell if it is the airport that's wrong or the ILS signal).

Hi Gustavok,Since you are using the DF 737-400 and the PIC 767 aircraft. You need to make sure you CRS Heading is set correct for the runway in question and make sure you have the proper amount of fuel for landing.Hope this can help...good luck This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind Regardshttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav44_banner.gif

Vl3MQY.png

Oh yes, I am making sure my heading and course are correct and my fuel ammount is correct....I have to agree with the other guys, there are tons of misaligned ILS's in FS2002...

Before this goes any farther-I have only seen a very few ils's that are not correct-one being at pdx (portland) and another Dca (Washington National). There are for sure a few more but that doesn't make "a ton" out of thousands approaches worldwide that are correct.A user above mentions the "Lubbock, Texas ILS Runway 17L".My charts show no such approach or runway...If you are having troubles on every approach then there is either something wrong with your sim, the database, or the way you are flying it.One of the biggest misconceptions I see over and over is an understanding of what an ils approach is, what it does, and where it takes you. That may or may not be your case but you might want to check this recent thread:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Geofa,Correction, I meant the ILS RWY 35L approach to Lubbock, Texas (KLBB), unreliable glideslope. I think a common misconception a lot of sim pilots and non-IFR real pilots share is that there is a magical attitude to establish on the localizer and GS that will facilitate a hands off, trimmed approach on the way to landing. In FS as well as the real world, the LOC and GS beam radiate outwards from their respective transmitters. Thus when an aircraft intercepts the LOC beyond the outer marker it's easier to stay on course laterally. When you close inside the marker and near the runway threshold the LOC beam is extremely sensitive, requiring deliberate, incremental adjustments to both heading and pitch to keep the needles centered. Because the GS and LOC beams are wider at their intial intercept point(s) a pilot will get the needles nicely centered while far out, establish a proper attitude, then find that he will still have to constantly make attitude adjustments as the respective LOC and GS beams progressively become narrower nearing the runway threshold. It's an important concept to understand.

Oh yes, I am making sure my heading and course are correct and my fuel ammount is correct....I have to agree with the other guys, there are tons of misaligned ILS's in FS2002Humm... I very rarely find an ILS that is off, it must be something else you don't have set correctly.

For US airports I have used AirNav.com to get accurate(I assume) locations and data on NavAids and runways.Then I use EasyNavs2k to check them (and fix)in FS2k2.On some cases I have also used AFCAD and FS2k2 to verify thatthe scenery runway is in the right place. (I had a 3rdparty airport of KMEM that was 1500 ft off). If you can find the actual locations from the nationalauthorities you can fix.scott s..

Guest groundpounder75

I think some of it may be the plane you are flying. I fly the PSS 744 98% of the time I sim and I have a horrible time trying to stay on the loc. when I have real world weather downloaded and it is somewhat windy. I find that ATC vectors you in way to close for the approach. If I cancel my IFR plan close to the FAF and I intercept the loc around 12 miles out the 744 will correct and be ok but if I don't cancel the plan and go with the ATC vectors forget it. But, I don't have this problem when and if I fly the default 747 or 737. I don't know, there are a lot of frustrating things about FS that make me want to through my computer through the window. Just like last night I was flying from VHHH to KLAX and I was about 2 hours in to the flight and my computer decided to just reboot. This has happened twice but only when FS was running. AHHHHHH!!!!My two cents worth

I fly the PSS 744 98% of the time I sim and I have a horrible time trying to stay on the loc.Interesting, I have been flying the PSS 744 for two weeks now and have never had better luck then I do with it on ILS approaches. Do you fly them yourself or are you trying the autoland feature? I fly them my self and that needle and GS stay centered right to the runway.

Guest groundpounder75

I wouldn't have this problem if I were flying the approaches by hand. It is only when I try an autoland. I normally end up hand flying them because I get can't stand having to perform a missed appraoch with MS ATC.