Sign in to follow this  
Guest hvanleusen

How is it done in real by profs?

Guest hvanleusen

1. Is it true, that changing airways by directs is not allowed in the middle of a flightplan, for example on a long range flight LSZH-WSSS?2. Can a flightplan describe a route with a name of an airway of the upper airspace (f.e. UB1) before reaching this region? (on climbout or descent?)Thanks and best regardsH.

Guest Muppet22

Hi1) Not to my knowledge, I have quite a few BA RW FP's and some of them have DCT's filed in many different sections of the flight, especailly routings to and from the US.2) Not sure but on BPK departures from EGLL the following is usually filed 'UR123 CLN' - on average yuo would cross BPK at about FL150, a lot lower for the far east bound 744's so I think this may answer your question?!:-)Tom EvansBAV 757/767 Training Captain

1. DCT legs allowance varies with each country: It is much restricted in europe while there seems to be no restriction in north-america. I believe that DCT rules are published in countries respective AIP.2. Yes you can, provided that your first filed flight-level is in the upper airspace.Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a pro planner...)Yohann, LFLL

Guest hvanleusen

Thanks for that Tom and Yohann.Any more offers ??CheersHans van Leusen

Guest tocart

>1. Is it true, that changing airways by directs is not >allowed in the middle of a flightplan, for example on a long >range flight LSZH-WSSS? It's a definite no-no. The simple reason being that the controllers would not know the point the aircrat was leaving the first route or when he would be joining the second one. A complete mess from a planning controllers point of view. Also the FMC would have a bit of trouble coping with such a route.>2. Can a flightplan describe a route with a name of an >airway of the upper airspace (f.e. UB1) before reaching this >region? (on climbout or descent?) Both Tom and Yohann habe alredy given the right anwser.Cheers

>>1. Is it true, that changing airways by directs is not >>allowed in the middle of a flightplan, for example on a long >>range flight LSZH-WSSS? Okay... my turn to answer now ;-)It really depends on the region. European airspace it too busy so they like you to fly on Airways. Asian/African airspace does not have enough radar coverage so they prefer you stick with airways. In some countries they can shoot you down if you wonder off the airway. LOL>>2. Can a flightplan describe a route with a name of an >>airway of the upper airspace (f.e. UB1) before reaching this >>region? (on climbout or descent?) >>Both Tom and Yohann habe alredy given the right anwser. Can't really speak for Europe... Normally if you are joining airway before reaching its floor you file Lower Airway transiting to Upper airway.Example :- YYZ V98 J856 MSS (same airways.) Radial works too... Example :- YYZ YYZ079 J856 MSS (In this case you intercept J586 on a YYZ 079 radial.)Hope this helps,Haroon