Sign in to follow this  

Need help landing...

I am sort of a newbie at FS and would like some help so I can enjoy the sim to it's fullest extent. I am having trouble catching the glideslope and knowing exactly when to do what. I tend to fly CRJ's since they are smaller aircraft. I end up taking it down by hand but always land short and can never ever line up properly with the vectors ATC gives me. If somone can give a quick step by step approach to properly landing or direct me to a website that can help me out that would be great. There's no use in simming if you can't even land! Thanks in advance

Guest Van

Have you been flying vfr or ifr filed FS flight plans? If you practice using an ifr flight plan, than atc should vector you to within 30 degrees of the ils capture, which is typical. Once atc gives you the final ils vectors and you turn your aircraft via the autopilot, than you need to select the ils (app) button on the autopilot, which in turn should capture the ils approach and glideslope. From that point you need to manage your speed and flap settings appropriately. You also need to make sure your nav radios are set to the correct ils frequency for the particular runway you have been vectored to. Once you have gotten use to ils approach and landings, it should be easier for you to hand fly vfr approaches as not all runways have ils capabilities. There are many aspects of flight to learn, but trying some basic procedures for now will get you on your way.Kindest Regards,Van Lhttp://www.yeodesigns.com/signatures/yeode...nner-van2-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Hi hpnas,Make sure your radios are set correct. Your speed is ever so important. Really do not much about the CJR aircraft, but try to have you speed down to 190 on the localizer and 180 on the glideslope. Ride the glideslope down with lots of flap and keep the glideslope centered by using the thrust levers. The thing is to practice over and over again.Good LuckThis Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind Regardshttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav44_banner.gif

Vl3MQY.png

Guest abent

I read somewhere that the flight dynamics of the crj make it a difficult a/c to handle. It is apparently very fast in descent and on approach - in part, I think, due to its extremely sleek design and also, I believe it does not have leading edge slats. I may well be misquoting the article I read.Maybe trying something more docile might be a good place to start practicing.I always land manually with the 737 (DreamFleet - my favorite) with just subtle pitch trim changes and it's pretty easy to grease on the runway.Also, use the MCP for descent rate and auto throttle until you're about 50 ft above the runway. You can also use heading hold to line yourself up nicely with the localizer making slight changes as necessary.I started with these assistances, then as I got better took them away one at a time. This will help you get the feel. Soon you'll be landing in full manual mode.This ,IMHO, the best part of flight simming...the learning and accomplishment.Have fun, Adam

Make sure your controllers are set up properly as well. If you stick/yoke is too sensitive, it can make flying unnecessarily difficult. I turn down the sensitivity using STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 in the fs2002.cfg file. In addition to that, I often edit the aircraft.cfg file since my CH Yoke is rather loose and doesn't have much resistance. Also, I found the CRJ to be a bit more difficult to fly at first as well. One aircraft I found to be great to learn on (both realistic and fun) is the great freeware Falcon 50 available here in the library. Make sure you carefully read the documentation and especially check to make sure your landing speeds are correct. Don't be afraid to set the autothrottle at the landing speed and fly the rest manually. Good luck!

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Abent,Landing with pitch trim? PItching using trim on landing is not good. :-)

Guest abent

Stratus, I guess I meant to say trimmed for landing. Once on final, I don't touch the trim - just the yoke with slight back pressure for flare.Throttle and pitch for speed and descent control. Though I find the 737 pretty much rock solid when it's configured for landing.Thanks for correcting me :-) Adam

Guest Stratus_Fractus

No problem, that makes perfect sense. :-)

Thanks for all your help guys. I will try all your advice when I get back to school where my Fs2002 is.