Sign in to follow this  
greenland

FFG DC 10 won't hold glidescope.

My FFG DC 10 sinks below glideslope on approach using autopilot,approach and speed set at 180.Am I doing something wrong?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Ron,1. Have you intercepted the glideslope from below ?2. Are you in the proper configuration (that is: sufficient flaps, no spoilers) ?Rob

Holding onto the glideslope can be a bear no matter which plane you're flying. There are alot of suggestions floating around but if you meet the most simple standards about how you meet the beam the rest of it appears to be guesswork. I have found that fuel levels frequently have nothing to do with holding the glideslope.If you hit it from below far enough out and get the plane trimmed so you only have to make small adjustments that's your best shot at consistent ILS approaches. Try and stay with one plane while you practice.Stay away from that autopilot. For whatever reason (the way FS ILS is programmed, the way the planes are programmed) a smooth AP ILS landing is a rarity in my experience.Of course now we will get a flood of "pro" pilots saying that every landing they have is perfect, ILS always works and they never have a problem with their AP. ;)Just do the basics and see what works for you.

I usually use the AP in approach mode to get within about 500' alt of runway.It works for all my other big jets.I always hit it below and the plane follows it and centers on runway,it just doesn't hold the proper altitude with the DC 10.I assume I am doing it properly.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

What was your weight? Be carefull about the amount of fuel you have remaining when you arrive at your destination or you may be above max. landing weight.

Hi rpowersPerhaps I am wrong here, but isn't it also a matter about which panel you use for the plane. I meam a cessna autopilot doesn't react the way a 747 autopilot does!I have always used Staffan Ahlbergs DC10 panel for my FFG - DC10's, and never had any problems catching and keeping the glideslope.Regards