Sign in to follow this  

Why does NVIDI release a deficient driver then Microsof

I had the same awful ATC problem with 40.72: persistent stutters that makes all the controls go dead until the transmission finally ends.I went back to the previous driver and the ATC is back in business and I miraculously got all my Nvidia control setting panels back again!

Not sure what you are talking about. The 40.72 work flawlessly on my system and I can adjust the settings.

Microsoft doesn't actually certify them themselves AFAIK. They publish a set of guidelines and maybe a testkit and if it passes the tests described therein you can call it certified.Personally, I had no problems with the driver itself, except that I lost (intermittently only, not permanently) all my reflections.I went back to the 30.82 and everything is as it should be (with slightly less crisp textures and slightly better performance).

After my first ever struggle to successfully install new video card drivers (I got a rundll error which was cured by removing a dll), I had a very noticable frame rate drop with the 40.72 drivers in FS2002 and the sound stuttering mentioned. SOF2, which previously had run with no problems, suddenly developed flashing textures and random lockups. I've reverted to the 30.82's and things are back to normal.I realise that Nvidia are normally very good with their driver releases but it makes you wonder just how significant or worthwhile the WHQL certification is.

Same here the 40.72 is about the best that I have tried...thing wrong with them yet. I downloaded them on Saturday. I was having problems with Counter-Strike (halflife) with the 41 series drivers.Regards,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

To the guy who doesn't understand what the problem is because it works fine for him ----->:-roll Just a tip: in the wild and wooly world of computers you will often find that something that works for you doesn't work for others, and vice versa. Next time it may well be YOU with the problem and when someone posts a response like yours you will understand where I'm coming from. ;)

Next time it may well be YOU with the problem and when someone posts a response like yours you will understand where I'm coming fromOh trust me, I completely understand that, I've been on the other side ;-) That is exactly why I posted that response. To me saying "Why does NVIDI (Should be NVIDIA) release a deficient driver" is kind of silly, when it works great for many others!That is why I posted my reply that way!

Guest PaulL01

There is simply not much to gain by updating to newer and newer drivers for such an old card unless you have a specefic problem that never has been adressed then you might as well be chasing rainbows as optimization for GF2 as well as GF3 cards concluded some time ago. And in this type of situation (concidering the old GF2 on Win98) the ole "if it aint broke, don't try to fix it" is really the best advice, You are probably best going back to 12.XX or 23.11/12 for optimum performance.***********************************************************Update:If you really need to fix the Control panel issue you can go here:http://www.thecaretakers.net/detonatordestroyed.htmlTake Care,

Very good advice Paul...Users of the GeF 2 & 3 cards (a group which I belong to) are likely to see far fewer benefits with the newer driver sets, if any at all. The only exception--if installation of the new driver somehow fixes an unseen "broken" set of older drivers. When I hear of markedly improved performance, this is what I usually suspect.I'm running the 21.83's on my GeForce 2/Ti. FS works, and I'm happy with the visuals and performance. And I've had consistently good results with my other apps. Nothing's broke, so I ain't fixin' things with newer drivers.-John

John & PaulAs a GF3 Ti200 owner I completely agree!... but in a moment of weakness I gave in and decided to see if I could get some of the improved frame rate/clearer textures/brighter colours/sharper 2d, etc that many users of the 40.72's were reporting. :)I think I'll just stick with the 30.82's and start putting some money aside for that GeForce FX next year...