Sign in to follow this  
Guest outtatimeiii

I done and did it!

I finally uninstalled FS98 and FS2000.I had kept both on my HD, but after a year of flying FS2002 I realized that other than serving a sentimental purpose, they were just taking up space. All of my flying now is in FS2002. I realized it'd been several months since I did anything with FS2000, and almost a year since I did anything with FS98.Along with FS98 and FS2000 went a lot of aircraft. I'm almost exclusively flying GMAX aircraft now, with a couple of exceptions. There've been so many great releases in the past few weeks, from copters (The Bell 47) to heavy jets (the POSKY & Meljet 747's), and even light aircraft (the FSDS Robin from Yannick). I realized many of my old tried & true aircraft were just gathering dust.I realized how much I have grown to accept FS2002 for what it is. And I think we've still just seen the tip of the iceberg. Can't wait to see what another year of evolution will bring.BTW, I was able to overcome my great "fear". I added a TV Tuner card. I was afraid FS2002 was going to react, either becoming unstable or getting a stutter of some type. Adding a new driver to the system is always an unknown. As long as I don't run the two together (common sense), I've seen no impact at all. And my toddler thinks I am a hero, as she can now watch Barney recorded from my Digital VCR. And now you know why I needed the space FS2000 and FS98 used to occupy....or, as Paul Harvey would say...."Now you know, the rest of the story".-John

Guest etanin

I have been thinking about the same thing for a long time. I have not used FS2000 since KS2K2 came out and there it sits with all the addons I paid for that do not work with 2K2. I'm going home today deleteing everything I do not use and defrag it's time.Thanks for the push!

Guest Coneman

What took you so long? :-) Every week there is some new, amazing add-on and it just keeps getting better. I have so much great stuff to choose from, they will keep me happy for a long, long time. RIP FS2000.Todd

I gave my copy of FS2000 away. I never had FS98, but I did have, I think it was called FS 5...? That when in the donation pile along with the computer it was on. Since FS2002, there has not been another general/commercial aviation simulator that has matched it. My opinion of course..... It is going to take a lot in FS2004 when it is released to get me to uninstall FS2002.... Especially with the investment that we are all putting into FS2002.

Me, I took FS2000 off the minute I saw the unbelievable autogen feature in FS2002. After that, I never flew in FS2000 :)

Hi..........like yellow5 i'm starting to develop the gut-feeling that i'm going to stick with fs2002.........for me, all it currently lacks is a credible weather system and atc.......in the near future these should be available.........then i think i'll just hop off the ever-more-demanding software requiring ever-faster/bigger hardware bandwagon and enjoy what i've got..........alan d kerr

I think I echo most sentiments listed so far. I love FS2002. I have so many great add ons I dont want the next version to come along and make them all useless. I like the choice of a 2d or VC cockpit. Whether you like one or the other at least there is a choice. I think I will collect all the add-ons I want for this version of FS and just upgrade to a faster computer and keep on using 2K2.Andrew

Guest Van

I think the good news is, that when FS2004 is finally released that all the add-ons that we currently use will probably work fine in it. There were many new technologies introduced for FS2002, including the GMAX modeling system and autogen technologies along with atc and AI traffic. In the previous FS sims they were really just improvements on each other, making them a bit better, but FS2002 was a total rebuild. With what I've heard from some add-on developers, the next addition of MSFS should just be improvments and fixes to the current FS2002. I think the GMAX style of modeling will be around for quite some time. We have all seen how long it takes today for an add-on developer to create a total package. It seems to be an average of a year or more before an idea becomes useable software and this is due to the wonderful technologies available to be used in FS2002. In any event time will tell and as I'm the type that says I will stick with the sim I have, I some how think I will jump on the FS2004 band wagon as I did with all the previous issues.Regards,Van Lhttp://www.yeodesigns.com/signatures/yeode...nner-van2-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Geez John, say you didn't. Now how are you going to compare what use to be to what is now!?Just the other day, I started up FS2000, which by the way I got free with rebates just months before FS2002 came out, and the graphics were terrible compared to FS2002. Even the aircraft looked like tinkertoys compared to FS2002.

"Even the aircraft looked like tinkertoys compared to FS2002."That's one of the biggest differences, I think. Look at the new GMAX MU-2, or Dreamfleet's work and Flight1's. Pretty amazing compared to FS2000.Also, FS2000 didn't do a great job of handling lakes and rivers...they obviously were polygons drawn on top of the landscape, with very limited visibility. In FS2002, they are part of the landscape--best example of this is Tahoe, or the Great Salt Lake.As for quirks, FS2002 has sometimes blurred textures, but firing up FS2000 one last time, I found the texture redraws worse. No thanks. Remember the floating lakes? No thanks.And what still amazes me to this day is that FS2002, even with Autogen on simply runs better and smoother on my P3/800 than FS2000 did. After a year of FS2002, I simply couldn't think of going back. All this makes me wonder--are there any FS2000 users who haven't tried FS2002? If so, why?-John

Hi,I still have FS2000 installed. And that is only for the Mad Dog by LAGO, which does not work in FS2002.IMHO, Mad Dog still sweeps the floor with many FS2002 titles. ;-)Here you go,...a screenshot of the Mad Dog panel (reworked), and Vans MD83, which works very good in FS2000.Fly safe, :-waveStaffan AhlbergFreeware Flight GroupStockholm/Sweden/ESSA

Staffan

Guest outtatimeiii

I recently installed FS98 to my zip disk (yup, you heard me right, a 100MB zip disk) to have some flying time at my college comp lab (I attract a lot of attention when I start simming :) ). Although I need my FS98 CD with me when I want to play it (I only put the US Great Lakes and Chicago scenery on due to lack of space). I could play FS98 on any computer in that college since all of them have zip disk drives, although its pretty hard to fly since im NOT gonna bring my joystick along with me LOL.FS2000 is basically dead for me LOL. CD2 is by far my worst condition CD, its VERY scratched up, and my 54x CD-ROM drive cant read it too well anymore. Only time I install FS2000 is when I want the Concorde, thats IT. Get the Concorde out, and uninstall. :)FS2002 is here to stay. I have so many addons, mostly planes. I cant stand giving up my beautiful GMAX planes for the older FSDS planes, although a good many FSDS planes are extremely well done (Robin, Falcon 50, DC-3, some others) and they are in my aircraft hanger also. I also cant give up that nice Autogen scenery either.