Sign in to follow this  

Flight Planning

Hi-Can anyone help me with the following issues? 1) This is a TAF for KSAN, can you help me decode it?Destination:KSAN SAN DIEGO INTL LINDBERGH FLD SA 291951 30013G18KT 10SM FEW014 SCT024 SCT038 16/06 A3009 RMK AO2 SLP188 T01560056I understand this: Time: 19:51 on the 29decemberWinds:300 at 13kts gusting to 18KtsVisability: 10statue milesclouds: Few at 1400, scattered at 2400 and 3800>WHAT DOES THE 16/06 MEAN?Altimeter 30:09WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?> RMK AO2 SLP188 T015600562)I am also confused about long haul flights. How does the pilot know about changes in the whether at his destination through the 13 hour flight? What is the point in including them in a flight plan if it is going to change by the time the flight arrives?3) Looking at NOTAMS I am confused by the numbers at the top left of the NOTAMS, are these just references? ie in this case the 08/008 and the 08/002 and 08/007 etc...08/008 - JAWBN EIGHT ARRIVAL AT JAWBN - TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH: CROSS AT 280K IAS. LANDING SOUTH: CROSS AT 250K IAS. AT ALKIA - TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH: CROSS AT 250K IAS. 08 AUG 09:01 UNTIL UFN08/002 - GLASR FIVE ARRIVAL AT JAKSN - TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH: CROSS AT 280K IAS. LANDING SOUTH: CROSS AT 250K IAS. AT HETHR - TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH: CROSS AT 250K IAS. 08 AUG 09:01 UNTIL UFN08/007 - OLM FOUR ARRIVAL AT OLM - TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH: CROSS AT 250K IAS. LANDING SOUTH: CROSS AT 280K IAS. AT FOURT - TURBOJETS LANDING SOUTH: CROSS AT 250K IAS. 08 AUG 09:01 UNTIL UFNThanks for helping!Ric

Guest Muppet22

Hi RicI can answer a few of your questions.What you are referring to in part 1 is actually a METAR observation which is a statement of the weather for that particular time.The '16/06' means the temperature is/was 16 degrees C, and the dewpoint 6 degrees C.A02 means that the wx reporting station is an 'automated station with a precipitation discriminator'. Mmmmmm rite!!SLP stands for 'sea level pressure'.The T01560056 is an exact measure of the temperature and dewpoint - in this case the temp is 15.6 C and dewpoint 5.6.Pilots can keep in touch with dest/en-route wx by either VOLMET stations, where all airports wx in a given area is broadcast over a frequency or, more likely by ACARS. Also, the pilot will be given a TAF report by the dispatcher, which is a very good, reliable forecast for the immediate future.As for NOTAMS I have no idea!Happy New Year!

Guest cufcskim

To start with, thats not a TAF, its a METARTAF= terminal Area ForcastMETAR=Aviation Routine Weather Report

Guest Muppet22

Better 6 months late than never ;-)

Guest cufcskim

LMAO give me a break! if i looked in all the topics in all the forums all the time, i'd never get anything done!Hope you found it useful.