Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Garmin 196 - need of advice...

Guest Twister

Hi,I am contemplating the eventual purchase of a Garmin 196.I'd love to hear some advice/remarks/tips from pilots who are currently using the device.CheersTwister

I don't have the 196-I do have the 195-and this summer went to Oshkosh partly to upgrade to the 196.It is a great unit-but there are some things I didn't like. The orientation of the screen for one-with the width being the wide part. Travelling in an airplane I think it is more desirable to be able to see further ahead and behind then from side to side. The second thing I didn't like was the size-much more bulky than my 195.The screen display is nice and sharp, and some more features-but after playing with it a while I decided I actually liked my 195 a little better and didn't really see it as that much of an improvement.I didn't get it and-Instead bought an anywhere map-http://www.controlvision.com/It beats the 196 in every option imho. The only thing the 196 has is the display of the turn coord etc.-which the anywhere map will be including in the next upgrade in a few weeks. Every couple of weeks they add a new feature which you update through the internet so that is nice.Feature wise the awm has many more including a color display.I find I use almost all the features of awm as it is intuitive and quicker than the endless keypresses needed on the 196 (same with the 195-I ended up using all the basics as it was too time consuming to menu/keypress entries while in flight).Anyway-I could go on pages about the anywhere map-and actually another program you can run at the same time for $25 called oziexplorer. Using both with Flight sim is also a great experience-great for training purposes!Check out these shots-with awm and oziexplorer you have a mfd for the fraction of a price!http://members.directvinternet.com/geof43/...ebpage/cap.htmlhttp://members.directvinternet.com/geof43/FNT/cap.htmlhttp://members.directvinternet.com/geof43/grid/cap.htmlhttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Was just curious how well screen visibility is with the "Anywhere map" during the daytime. Just asking because I read a review on the 196, where the reviewer claimed the Garmin 196 was much easier to read than color versions. I've been interested in up-grading between these two units, myself.L.Adamson -- still have the 195

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Larry -This is based purely on my readings of the Anywheremap system :-) - but I have heard that the Compaq iPaq, which the AWM uses, is very well known for its readability during daylight, in particular, direct sunlight.There are also a number of iPaq's you can choose from, wherein some of the more current models include Bluetooth technology. Even nicer, when you're not flying, the iPaq is your handy PDA for all those phone numbers, calendar, etc. :-)Anyway, similar to what Geof said above, I have heard nothing but good things about the AWM.Regards,http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsnyder99/sigs/name.jpg

Guest BrianC

Now that Dell has their Axim handhelds out at half the price of their competition, AnywhereMap has become a lot more affordable.

Guest Twister

Hi Geoff,I remember that you purchased the Control Vision in Oshkosh...all I can say is HOLLY MACARONI !!!!The pics you posted are absolutely amazing !I have a few questions:1. Living in Israel, I am not sure how many of the advertised goodies would work in the local airspace...for example there is no Datalink weather info around here (maybe in the future..)2. I have no idea on how to scan a sectional map and put it in the database (and how to calibrate) - is it a complicated procedure?3. How bright is the display ? does it work well in a sunny cockpit?4. How reliable is the device (Ipaq)? I'm also afraid to inadvertently download some bug (e-mail, freeware software, etc...)5. Is there a specific site you can recommend apart from the manufacturer's ?Thanks a bunch for your extremely valuable input !Take careTwister

http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif"1. Living in Israel, I am not sure how many of the advertised goodies would work in the local airspace...for example there is no Datalink weather info around here (maybe in the future..)"This could be a problem for now. They update the US database every 30 days along with other features-but the data for the rest of the world is apparently not as good. They have promised to update it, but it seems clear that it will never be as timely or good as the US data."2. I have no idea on how to scan a sectional map and put it in the database (and how to calibrate) - is it a complicated procedure?"It is really quite easy. You scan the image of the map as a .jpg file-place it in the program and "calibrate" it. Simply-you place the mouse curser over a point of longitude and latitude on the map-click--then enter it the longitude/latitude. You have to do this on at least "2 places on the map-once done it is calibrated. At that point you just load it into the program and you have an instant moving map. If you belong to aeroplanner.com they already have all the scanned maps calibrated and all you do is download them. Doing your own is easy-as you see from the examples I even did my own approach charts."3. How bright is the display ? does it work well in a sunny cockpit?"That was a concern a few years ago-but the newer generation of ipaq's (3900 series) are extremely readable in bright sunlight-I would say even better than the black and white or color garmin portables. The shots in the second link I provided were all live from inside the airplane during the day-and came out quite clear even while taxing on a bumpy taxiway in normal sunlight."4. How reliable is the device (Ipaq)? I'm also afraid to inadvertently download some bug (e-mail, freeware software, etc...)"I've had no trouble-If you every really screwed it up you could do a "hard reset" which essentially puts it back to factory specs. They are pretty simple to use-especially compared to a pc and all the problems you can have there so I wouldn't worry too much on that angle."5. Is there a specific site you can recommend apart from the manufacturer's ?"I don't know of any sites-but I would nose around the discussion boards on the awm site. I think you have to register like on avsim-but you can gets lots of info and see any complaints there, which might be helful. If I can give any more help let me know.

Guest Twister

Thanks a lot for the information.I browsed the Anywhere Map and OziExplorer sites. I guess that I wouldn't need the Anywhere Map if I'd scan my local maps with the OziExplorer...The option really looks interesting, thanks again for your guidance.Twister

Hello everyone - I just found and joined this forum, and thought I'd jump into this topic.I have used a Garmin 195 for about 4 years and +1,000 nm in my Cherokee 180. I recently ordered the 196 and have used it a little bit. Like Geoff, I prefer the screen configuration of the 195 to the 196 (long versus wide). However, the 196 has some nice improvements, including:1. much faster processor - the 195 turns to molasses when moving the cursor around beyond the map2. Better screen viewability in all lighting conditions, including night3. Runway extensions4. Vectors to final option (cancels waypoint sequencing on approaches)5. Panel page (personally, I think this is kind of a gimmick feature, but I need to try it under simulated IMC to make up my mind)I haven't decided whether I want to keep the 196 or just stay with my trusty 195.I am still considering the IPAQ/Mapanywhere option. Ideally, I would love to have both the 195(or 196) AND an IPAQ/mapanywhere to look at while I'm flying. This for Geoff: do you have the IPAQ yoke mounted? Is it button controlled or touch-screen controlled?-Will

Guest Twister

Hi Will,Check out the OziExplorer web site - you'll be amazed.Geoff posted some screenshots and got me hooked !I just might purchase an Ipaq instead of the Garmin 196 I originally wanted.Take careTwister

I have it mounted on the center post of the bonanza-the bonanza can't do a yoke mount with any unit.It is both touch screen and button controlled-you can assign any of the buttons to do anything-and you can use your finger on the screen also.For instance-if you double tap with your finger on an airport symbol on the screen all info such as runway lengths, and airport diagram, and the aopa database of info on that airport will pop up. There are some that say turbulence makes the touch screen hard to use but I haven't found that at all. If anything-you can get your entries in much faster than the garmin's menu driven, scrolling method. e.g. if you want to go direct to ptk-you just push the letters ptk and go rather than having to scroll each letter and punch. There are also multiple ways to enter data-if you want you can even use the rocker switch on the ipaq and enter data exactly like the garmin.I have kept my 195 as a battery driven backup-that way if I loose power I can use it for a couple hours. That brings up the issue that with the ipaq you have to have an outside gps source. I am using the garmin 35 which is incredible and easily the best I have seen-it aquires instantly and gives altitude with a high degree of accuracy. The only problem is if you lose electrical you lose power to the gps and are finished. I did buy a backup battery for this situation.The other way to go is a gps that plugs in the top of the ipaq or even the new bluetooth enabled ones that look like a credit card and wirelessly sit on the dash-that would take care of the battery backup problem-but there is some debate on how well some of the units work.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Thanks for the additional info. The IPAQ/mapanywhere is really tempting. I especially like the idea of color terrain warning info. Does the IPAQ have a "glidesope" feature like the 195? - Will