Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Garmin 196 - need of advice...

Aviation consumer rated the awm top product of the year or something like that...Also-the awm is the only one I am aware of that comes as a package with everything you need for an aircraft-yoke mount, power connectors,gps etc.As far as the others-most of the pda software allows you to try it first before buying so that is the best way to go.I personally bought the oziexplorer because it was cheapest and seemed to work the best for aviation-many of the others are either way more expensive or more ground based.Also-if you go to aeroplanner.com and go to "chartchunks"-you will see a couple of other programs not on your list that are also supported. That is one of the cool things about the pda driven gps-you can always get the latest and greatest, or update it easily vs. a unit you buy that stays that way!I would consider the awm and flitesoft direct competitors-the others are a different type of program that also compete. e.g. the flitesoft and awm are vector driven, fight specific (databases, utilities etc.)-the others are basically programs that take a gps's input, and allow you to place any graphic in it and "calibrate" the graphic.Right now-if you want both vector and live maps you have to get one of both-however, again it appears that awm will possibly be featuring both in the future.By the way-have you taken the "anywhere tour" on the awm site? This is a good way to get an idea of its' features.http://www.anywheremap.com/pages/awm_tour.htmhttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Right now, at the "other" forum (outer marker..flightsim.com) there is a lenghly discussion regarding GPS's.................cheating or not...As I'm an advocate of moving map GPS's since the early 1990's; they are, IMO the safest addition to flight navigation possible. In the KSLC mountainous area, we are experiencing one to two fatal flights into the foothills of these mountains yearly. Another Bonanza "bit the dust" last week. It appears that an IMC situtation quickly develops from marginal VFR, and the aircraft ends up "scud running" in the wrong direction.In cases like these, a good moving map GPS can save your "bacon" by providing you instant situational awareness of your position. Those few seconds can save your life!It's my opinion, that those who don't seem to believe in GPS's, havn't really used a good moving map version. I don't bother with units such as a KLN89 either.L.Adamson

I have the anywheremap and it is really nice. If price is an option you do not need to buy the whole set up from controlvision. All you need is the software ($289 i think).Buy a used ipaq and save $300 (check ubid.com, ebay, etc.).Buy a cheaper GPS (I use the basic garmin etrex).Buy a cable to connect the GPS to the Ipaq (I ordered this from some mom and pop store in Wisconsin for $30).Buy a cable to connect the Ipaq to a cigarette lighter.I think I ended up saving around $400 off the full-package price.The only negative thing I can say about it is that it is BRIGHT (even on the dimmest setting) at night. Controlvision just put out their own night dimmer for the Ipaq and I haven't tried it yet (anyone know how well it is)? Right now I use the ole trusty t-shirt thrown over it to block the light.

I am sure the old timers said much the same when adf's first came out-not to mention vor's.To not use the latest technology to increase safety is just a little boneheaded.Since I am now involved with the search and rescue aspect of downed aircraft-the sooner we get the new devices that send gps coordinates when downed the better-elt's most of the time don't work-and unless you crash in a nice cleared area it is like finding a needle in a haystack to locate a downed aircraft. We just lost one in the U.P. of Michigan a few weeks ago-57 aircraft searching for 10 days and came up empty...http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif