Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Nicholson KMFR

Are you ashamed by your hobby?

Guest crashing_pilot

well,after reading this line-up,i can only say this:(and my wife fully agrees on it :-) )IT

I wouldn't pay for any advertising merchandise, Micrsosft or otherwise. However I wouldn't be worried about wearing a Flight Sim T-Shirt or Polo shirt (I rarely wear jackets, the Brisbane climate doesn't lend itself to cold weather gear) in public.It would go well with the Intel Pentium 4 boxer shorts I have and would make a welcome replacement for the ageing and threadbare Jetfighter II t-shirt I've had for years (both freebies).

What hobby? This is a computer GAME. Nothing more, nothing less. How is playing a computer game a hobby. Sorry, but I cannot get that deep into sims as to consider them nothing but games, not a hobby.

Guest Pabra

"Weenie-arm marines aren't afraid to play with sissy dolls"Theredguy

>What hobby? This is a computer GAME. Nothing more, nothing >less. How is playing a computer game a hobby. Sorry, but I >cannot get that deep into sims as to consider them nothing >but games, not a hobby. I am not that DEEP into simulations either. But regardless of that, this simulation DOES offer real world data-bases, which can be used for real world practice in a number of ways. Navigation , airport layout, and surrounding topography. Now considering this "game" also allows for getting "deep" into aircraft and scenery design, it could easily be a hobby which is almost limitless in the time that could be spent with it.L.Adamson

Call it what you may, Game, hobby, but personally, I enjoy the heck out of it. As far as Mr. Gate's clothes etc. No Way.

The sweatshirt looks nice, but it obviously needs a patch :)seriously, tho, after reading about the lack of support from friends and family, i have to go hug my wife. She not only brings me coffee when I reach cruise, she brings it in these plastic coffee mugs she went out and bought for me because she thought they look like the ones they use on real planes....

May you enjoy sims as games, then, nothing more. All to their own.For many of us, however, flightsim is far more; an extensive learning database and resource, a medium in which to develop skills in graphic art, computer design and programming and the conduit to a wonderful community online in which to interrelate, share and be educated.As I said above in this thread, I find "bashing some goth on the head in some dismal tower" a complete waste of time and a gloomy, disturbing, all too prevalent trend in youth entertainment; but flightsim is a reflection of the real world and can be an incredibly stimulating pastime. OK, hobby. OK, obsession. Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest GabrielR

My wife is also great in that matter. She suscribed me to a magazine and always ask me if I want a Simulator related gift for Birthday, Christmas etc...I have been able even to put her on the controls, even though she is not as interested as me to do the perfect landing she enjoys seeing the scenery and the playback of her crash very close to the runway!I think I'm very lucky...

Guest Rockcliffe

Can you buy a flightsim codpiece?

Guest crashing_pilot

Hi Gabriel,yup,you lucky man :-)my wife doesn

I'm certainly not embarassed about my hobby. God knows its no sillier than train spotting or quilting or collecting action figures. But, it wouldn't be the first thing I would bring up on a date!

Guest GabrielR

What about Bringing the M$ FS2002 shirt and hat to a first date???:-walksmile

A great question and an interesting thread to read...I had a friend over the other day for a chat and a beer. He often has his little 'niggles' about me being a flight simmer, to a great extent, I'm not asshamed of my/our hobby (not the ideal way to get a girl though). His jaw dropped in utter amazement when I proceeded to show him how an Airbus MCDU works 'a la' PSS style. In a society of fashion freaks here in the UK, surly you could spend the money on something slightly more 'trendy' ? A MSFS baseball cap? Wouldn't it just be safer to walk through Afghanistan with an "I LOVE AMERICA" T-Shirt???Regards,Adam Nardone

I would say that computer gaming is my hobby and FS2002 is my current obsession...and looks to stay that way until Everquest 2 is released, though the online version of Star Wars due out early in the year will vie for some of my gaming time.As for the clothes, I wouldn't buy any that contained a company logo, be it Microsoft, Nike, or Budweiser. They should pay me to wear it. If it is a freebie though, I would definitely wear it. Never have understood why people pay money to advertise for companies that just see them as another generic customer. I suppose it may be some form of "psychological compensation"...telling the world "I'm this type of person".