Sign in to follow this  

APPEAL --- PLEASE Help these people SEE SENSE !!!!!!

While it would be sad to see her go, they do have a point when they say that the money spent would be quite a lot for only a few years remaining before the aircraft will be grounded forever anyway.Personally, I'd rather see her well preserved in non-flying condition in a museum than scrapped after spending a few years flying the Queen's parade and a few airshows each year.If the estimate of 5-7 years remaining time on the airframe (where does that come from anyway?) is incorrect, I wonder where they got the information as it seems to have been the main reason for the denial of funding.I fully agree that Tony's dome is a far less worthy object to spend money on (quite apart from being a bottomless pit), but you have to remember that that one is a politically correct target. Approved of and supported by the Labour party and the environmentalist movement, while a bomber is glorification of violence and extremely polluting aviation (we all know that't not true and so do they, but they can't admit it and the papers and TV news won't listen to us).

Guest CapnCol

Very well put George, it makes the spine tingle just thinking about it.I too have sent an email and just hope it does some good.Colinps Are Phoenix still going ahead with the Vulcan project?

Guest Paul_W

That was excellent information--and certainly tends to balance the "How...how could they?" sentiments.Personally I think that keeping the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster airborne is a worthy endeavor. I once heard a Spitfire doing some low-level passes during an air show at Biggin Hill, and the resonant sound of that engine was just an amazing thing to hear. For me though, and I'd suspect for most of the air-show-going public, putting the Vulcan aloft is not quite the same thing. In fact, to be honest I just don't see that as a priority at all.

Now I'm all for historic aircraft restoration, bu

Less than a Decade of service ???????????????????????????????????1950's to 1990's ??ER .......Can I Borrow

Graham,What's this statement all about, "but the short life of the plane following such costly restoration..."? Is that part true, or just part of their excuse?

BobK

This is true ..... The Aircraft Will only have a "Relativeley" Short life on the display circuit this is true .The Engines are certified to (I Believe) 600 Hours thereby limiting the Display time although the airframe limit is much longer, but the guys at VTTS have this well organized... and are simply looking to source More Engines :)Lets look at the situation over Ten Years though.. that's 60 hours a year IN THE AIR. Enough for Many Many people to see the benefits of this elusive Lottery Funding, no ?PS How long did the "Dome" last in the context of being "Useful" ???:)

I would like to say that the asylum-seeker basing I've noticed in this topic (and on Avsim's front-page) is not helpful. Yes there are many people who've got themselves to the UK by surreptitious, even illegal means, who have no right to be here. But by the blanket term 'asylum-seeker', you target and ostracise genuine refugees, who have fled persecution and possible death for the welcoming arms of the UK, a nation which is, in the main, a tolerant and just society. And I think lottery money should be used to provide genuine asylum seekers with support, healthcare, English lessons and education, when they are so far from home. And don't forget that some of our greatest artists, writers, musicians, scientists and physicians came to this country from overseas, fleeing autocratic and un-just regimes. Do you think about that when you use the term 'asylum-seeker'?And also, the Heritage Lottery fund doesn't provide money for asylum seekers - that's the New Opportunities Fund. Splitting hairs I know, but let's not encourage bigotry through duff information. Rant over. I shall probably get flamed for saying this, but I was pretty incensed when I read the front page of my favourite flight-sim site yesterday, and found opinion rather than straight facts.RobPS: I saw the Vulcan fly at two IATs in the late 80s - it's a spectacular bird, and should be preserved. It's a hugely important part of our aviation heritage. And it also serves as a reminder of the Cold War, and how close we came to using the weapons of last resort...http://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg

Paul,I find that comment re the Spit and Vulcan strange, I assume you have seen the Vulcan display?I woud suggest that, contrary to your suspicions, the public would far sooner have a Vulcan aloft than a Spitfire if only for the sheer thrill of seeing that bird go through its paces.Also there are a number of privately owned Spitfires flying but no Vulcans and I would suggest that the Vulcan is far more unique, worthy of restoration, and support than the Spitfire; and that is in no way intended to belittle the Spit.

Hi All, I have said my peice for the old girl too! It is proven fact that Air Shows are the second biggest outdoor spectator sport in the UK! Surly that alone equates to "Value for Money!" And ....... How can you put a price on a peice of history that sends shivers down your spine and gives you goose bumps as it roars past!Fingers crossedDaren

Perhaps we should be considering adding previous jackpot winners to the list?Appeal to their sense of fairplay directed towards all those fellow men and women who have been less fortunate and are likely never to experience their good fortune. Yet these same good people have contributed faithfully each week to the happiness enjoyed by the lucky few. This could be one way of helping them assuage their guilt.I think most of us agree that the whole concept behind awarding these ridiculously large sums randomly to a few members of our community is absurd and, dare I say it, obscene. It only brings out the worst in us and threatens to destroy lives. Yet we allow it to continue as without it many good and worthwhile causes would be denied critical funding. This is the price paid to give us all the freedom to choose whether or not we continue to cooperate with this voluntary additional 'tax' levy.Okay, okay, I know it's likely I'm on to a loser here but let's not forget the part war has played in forming our societies and the sense of bonding and togetherness and willingness to help each other selflessly that such conflicts produced among us. I'm certainly not advocating war but we certainly need something special today to help recreate those ideals. Perhaps I'm just an incurable romantic but, as stated in my earlier post, seeing the majestic Vulcan XH558 once again in the air would, for me, represent something far far more than the spending of a mere

Well said Rob, there is enough assylum seeker bashing going on throughout the world as it is, I know, I'm Australian. We have turned it into an art form and state sponsored sport.While on the topic of fundraising, maybe the 2.5 mill would be better spent on some medical assistance and training for the Pommy cricket team. :-)CheersChris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australiahttp://members.iinet.net.au/~portercb/flyp...ta_tester_3.jpg[h3] FSD Aircraft "Around the world" flight.Now at WIIH (Halim Intl. Jakarta) Indonesia[/h3]Intel Pentium IV 2.26GHz(533)512K L2 Cache NorthwoodIntel D850EMV2-LAN P4 (533MHz FSB)Kingston/Samsung 256MB PC-800 RAMBUS, x 2 (512Mb)MSI-8872 GeForce4 Titanium 4600 128MB DDRHyundai -ImageQuest P910+, 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

Oooh, too cruel! I hear the team have booked the Medevac plane ready for after the Perth test.Still, we whipped you in the rugby, and I believe there's a friendly 'soccer' match against you Aussies in February - I don't think you'd better bother turning up...Robhttp://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg

Mate...Rugby World Cup's on next year. We're just lulling you into a false sense of security :-) You guys have peaked half a year too early :-lol"Soccer" nah, won't comment, forum rules will get the post pulled :-) - Oh well... Watching grown men do strange things to each other on a bit of grass is not something we have got used to here yet. Mind you if we did, we would probably give you Poms a hiding in that as well :-)Where did you guys come in the Commonwealth Games?Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australiahttp://members.iinet.net.au/~portercb/flyp...ta_tester_3.jpg

Well, I believe we came second, but at least we beat the Scots...Of course, there is the expression 'one man team' that springs to mind. If it wasn't for the 'Thorpedo' where would you be?With all these insults, you're not related to David Campese are you?Robhttp://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg