Sign in to follow this  

Help! Blurred Textures are back!

Guest SD Sim

This has been a very nice thread indeed gentlemen. But after reading it (somewhat quickly), I noted that one of the oldest tricks in the book hadn't been addressed (if it was, then please accept my apologies). One idiosyncrasy within FS2K2 is it's uncanny ability to corrupt the config file (fs2002.cfg in your root folder). This can lead to all kinds of problems, including the gradual onset of blurry textures. Fortunately, the fix is simple. Just move your existing config file out of the root folder, then restart MSFS2K2. It will create a new .cfg file for you. Of course, you'll have to reset everything to where it was before, but usually this solves a variety of phantom problems that crop up from time to time. And best of all this saves you that lengthy reinstall, which for me would take the better part of one week. No muss, no fuss.Have fun flying :-)

Guest PaulL01

Rick,You Stated:"Bottom line, by adjusting the TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS= from 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 to 16, then finally to 32 I incrementally extended the high resolution textures out to where they had been before the problem appeared.Equally,Leaving TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS= at 1, and then adjusting the TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS= from 2.500000, to 5.00000, to 10.00000, then finally to 15.00000 accomplished much the same result." ***************************************************************You have somthing else going on here as TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS= greater than =4 (or even greater than 3 for that matter) have no (and little >3) effect what so ever, Further TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS= values greater than 9.999999 have no effect what so ever.You have some other issues going on and as recommended you should delete your Fs2k2.cfg and restart FS to let it rebuild it.BTW, what setting do have in the FS2k2.cfg for the following?:{TERRAIN}TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=?TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=?TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=?

Paul:In the terrain section, these are the current settings:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=7.650000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=32As I explained in my previous post, the only value I changed was the TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS= setting. Starting with 1, I increased the values as described. Each time I changed the value by one increment, then saved the FS2002.CFG file and restarted Flight Sim. I remained in the same location, orbiting MT Rainier, and observed the textures for clarity. As the values were from 1 to 2/4/8/16/32 the highest quality textures that were uniformly rendered increased in distances, starting approximately 1-2 miles from the aircraft while 5,000 feet above the surface at a setting of 1, and ending up with the same high quality resolution and uniformity out to 9-10 miles at a setting of 32.I've read elsewhere that settings beyond 4 do not affect the sim, and at first stopped there because of what I had read. Determined to find a solution to the blurred textures, I pressed on, and achieved the results described above.On a separate note, on the issue of regenerating the FS2002.CFG file:After re-install as previously described I allowed FS2002 to generate a new FS2002.CFG file. Next I copied the settings for the keyboard and joystick from the pre uninstall CFG file into the newly created file. Then I went back into the program and set all of the aircraft and display settings from within the program itself, so as to avoid transcribing any previous problem.With Thanksgiving Dinner over, its time for the second test flight since success to see if my efforts have withstood the test of time, in this case 24 hours with the computer shut off.We'll see. Rick

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1did it for me.I deleted my fs2002.cfg. Ran fs2002 set my settings before flying.Then exit the sim straight away once on the ground. I saved my fs2002.cfg and now I copy this .cfg file into flightsim folder before running it every time now and no blurred textures.Hope it work for youGraham

Couple other things:1. Have you defragged in a while. I get noticeable increases in performance after doing this tedius but important maintenance. 2. How long has your computer been on? I get memory leaks if I leave the machine on for a long time. I also think that there is some degradation over time caused by some unknown corruption because I know I am not getting the samer performance today as I was getting several months ago. I may try the config fix, but am a bit intimidated with button assignments etc. Colin