Sign in to follow this  
Guest outtatimeiii

Upgrade question for hardware gurus

My system is getting rusty somewhat, so I'm in dare need to ask for advice on proper combination for upgrade. Since, nVidia FX will not be available until Feb 2003 I will either stick with my GF3 Ti200 for now, or go for GF4 Ti4600 (is this card OK for multimonitor setup?)The bottomline is motherboard and CPU. After weeks of research and searching through this forum I decided to go for AMD XP 2700. Now to the question: what would be the best, most comprehensively beefed up motherboard for this chip? The one with all the bells and whistles being a long-term investment for future upgrades. Price is not the major factor here.Thanks for your hints.DonMy current system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest SD Sim

David,Are you saying that I should install two sticks for it to work right? That seems a bit strange, but heck, this might be the standard now.As far as availability of the hardware mentioned initially it seems not to be a real problem to get, really. I found them at very competitive prices at www.pricewatch.com They have wide variety of single products as well as combos (mobo with chip already installed). That is what I was looking at.I agree with you, that it might be worth to wait for the next generation FX graphics to come out and settle down a bit (so the prices become reasonable).Thank you very much indeed for your comments.DonMy system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi don i would also wait for the new geforce card or ati good luck on your upgrade am also do for in upgrade soon myself hehe.get the best possble you can even if you have to wait a few weeks for cash.

Well, I know. I kept on telling myself to wait for another 'brand new' technology piece of hardware but seems like the wait is over. There will always be something on the horizon. It is painful to jump into new products too fast, as you suffer tremendously seeing them devaluate in a very short time.DonMy system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest outtatimeiii

Your system isnt too bad really. I almost have the same system specs almost, and i'm quite happy with it. Although this is coming from a person who was stuck on a slow AMD Krap6-400 (LOL) system for 3 years, just about anything on the market now is 10x faster LOL. I'm likely to stay put with my Athlon 1.2GHz and Radeon 7200 for another 2-3 years LOL.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Don,Yes indeed, you do want two memory sticks. The dual channel Memory will increase the available bandwidth, but only if you have two of the memory slots filled. You can see the link to Tom's Hardware I provided for more details.