Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bill Kunert

Windows XP help...

I have recently changed my hard drive for a bigger one and decided to give Windows XP Professional edition a try. I used to have Win98SE and I can say I

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

What about the drivers for the controller chips, i.e., Intel, SiS, Via, AMD, etc? Did you install updates for those?

Guest kilo_sierra17

So I am assuming you did a fresh install of XP, I can tell you right now, that your problem is that you are running 30.82, you must go to 40.72, when I did that performanced increased and image quailty jumped and I am using XP PRO, with a GeForce 3 Ti 200, and my system is only 500 MHZ!!Update your card to 40.72 then let me know if it all works.Kurt

Guest flightpro08

The biggest performance increase I noticed going from Win98 to XP Pro is when I turned off themes. I couldn't believe how much faster my system responded. Bob

Just an idea: XP doesn't have a "best" setting for refresh rates. If you set it for say 85Hz at 800 x 600 and then change to 1280 x 1024 then XP may lower the refresh rate (depending upon your card and monitor). The trouble is that it won't raise it back up like 98SE would. This shouldn't really affect fps but it will affect the screen appearance. I don't have the URL but there is some third-party software that will fix the problem. Also, I believe XP SP1 made a partial improvement.

Guest danowat

Hi Hugo,I have XP and it isn't much quicker than win 9x, but the stability is better.What file system have you used for your xp install?, I would suggest using NTFS if you hav'nt already, you can convert it without losing any data.Also depending on the size of your new harddrive I would also suggest setting up a separate partition just for your Swapfile (virtual memory) and manualy set it to 2.5 times your physical memory, although this won't make you system faster as such, your swapfile won't become fragmented and you should'nt get so much of a pause when your system access's it.As for your driver's, I would use the 30.82 drivers for your nvidia card, I had a lot of problems with the latest, and from what I read on a lot of forums the latest are not always the best for nvidia.What motherboard do you have?.If you have an Intel board have you got there "Application accelerator", which belive it or not made a bit of difference to my system.Let me know how you get onBest wishesDan.

Guest ScottPilot

I dumped the 40.72 drivers and went back to the 30.82 drivers. they are much better and I get NO stuttering with these drivers. Also my colors are more vivid. I'm sure for some people, the 40.72's may be better, but for my system, the 30.82's perform much better.Also with the 40.72's, Windows XP took up to 45 seconds to shut down because the Nview 2.0 driver was "Not Responding" during shutdowns. After going back to the 30.82's, this problem went away.Scott :-)My system:PIII 1GHZ with 512MB SDRAM120+ GB Hard DiskVisiontek Xtasty Geforce 4MX 440 card 64MBDual 17" VGA MonitorsDriver: 30.82CH Products Yoke & RuddersOS: Windows XP Pro SP1Average FPS in FS2K2 Pro: 12 to 20 with most sliders maxed.

Your motherboard website - http://www.dfi.com/ . Your MOBO has the Intel 845 chipset and yes you should install the Intel Accelerator drivers.Check the MOBO manufacturer's site for later drivers and also Intel.