Sign in to follow this  

Does Anyone Realy Care About VC's?

I really don't know if 9/11 influenced the prices or not. I think they will in general always go up-after all-to replace with a new similar aircraft would now be around 500k-so still a bargain at 1/5 the price. I think I would buy the cheap one and redo it-with the rapid change in avionics right now it seems like that would be the way to go.My insurance has stayed pretty much the same since I've owned it although it did go up $100 this year-around $1300-which compared to car insurance is a bargain. It helps that the Deb as far as I know has the best safety record for a retract.Anyway-if it was me-I'd try to get a cheap one that needs paint and a new interior, and an avionics upgrade.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Vmca, That is exactly the position that I'm coming from. Do you have a stuttering problem with WideView like I do? Not yet. I'm just running multiple monitors via the one box with a few video cards. I'm hoping to go to WideView soon.If not, what settings are you using? I've switched to a dedicated IPX NIC for client/server relations with internet traffic routed to a TCP/IP-only card. This has helped but there is still a noticeable problem. How much of a boost did doing this give you?I guess if you think about it, we're all coming from the same position - a 2D panel and outside view are "cramped" on a single screen. Single screen feels totally inadequate after using multiple monitors. If this capability is hamstrung in FS2004 it will be an utter disaster. The VC guys improve upon this by essentially stretching their screens and then looking around.I personally don't like this solution. I get a greater feeling of fidelity by placing the instruments where I want them. Nothing detracts more for me than having to call up another screen rather than just glancing across.Oh, and why is Vmca so scary? I had an "eventful" time when it came to do the Vmca demonstration during my multi training. We stalled before we lost directional control and ended up in a spin. Got a bit closer to the ground (well water actually) than was comfortable.

Guest Jalok

Don't agree with you, sir. Time to upgrade from 800x600 or 1024x768 to 1600x1200 or 1920x1440. And even if it's not possible to some users, a mousewheel zoom might be the solution, just like ActiveCamera works.>I'm concerned that the new "clickable" VCs will actually be >the worst combination yet however. No VC I've seen to date >provides enough detail to actually click on gauges and see >the changes effectively (Kohlsman window for example). >Performance is also sure to suffer too. As it is, most VCs >tax even the high end systems, at least more than 2D panels. >I'll certainly give them a good try, but as I say, I am >skeptical. THe worst of both worlds! >David

These days I rarely post, but just have to disagree on a few points..."Flying alot of sim time without using VC develops very bad flying habits. Plain and simple. You need to get your head up off of the instruments and your eyes pointed out the windows and look around outside your plane, alot."For sim only pilots.... maybe. But in 15 years of mixing desktop simming with my real world flying.... I have never had any trouble remembering to look outside in the real world." And, don't think that flying the heavies is any different. You still spend more time looking out than down."No way! Large and widebody aircraft require more precise instrument techniques and procedures than ever, and in the real world, like it or not, large jet drivers spend a great deal of time heads down even in VMC conditions. The non-flying pilot is primarily responsible for looking outside, as is the flying pilot, but the reality is far more heads down than many realize... Though the new "electric jets" are helping this issue some... but that is another subject altogether." When flying IFR, your natural tendencies should be to look out even if you can't see. You thoughts should go something like.."Damn, still can't see a thing. What do the instruments say?" Not the other way around."The above is the sign of a pilot who has not yet become truly competant at instrument flight, and I would be un-nerved to fly with anyone that admitted to that style of flying during IMC! Really competant instrument pilots do just as well, and are just as comfortable with their instrument interface to the airspace as they are looking out the window.... You know you have arrived as a good instrument pilot when you don't even consciously notice the difference, but automatically transition back and forth between visual and instrument orientation without even realizing you are doing it! "Using an "ok" VC is still more realistic than using awesome looking and functioning 2D. Dems just da facts."It's purely personal choice, and has little impact on performance for me anyway. My personal choice is 2d though, even though I train pilots for jet type-ratings in full motion sims for a living these days. For my desktop needs, it works fine, and does not interfere with doing it for real.Sorry to disagree with your perspective, dems just my opinion!By the way, even though I work in building with more than two dozen full motion 6 axis sims (level C & D), I still enjoy coming home and flying my desktop.... even when I can have my pick at work when they are available! :DBest Regards,Tim SandersATP,B-747,B-727,DC-8,C-141,DA-20,DA-10 Simulator Instructor and Checkairman

>"How much of a boost did doing this give you?"I don't have hard data, but the discrete IPX link probably reduced stuttering on the client by 10-15%. WideView is a strange bird - the data passed is far below the capacity of a 10T circuit, let alone the 100T that I'm using, but yet it the client always seems starved for data. The frame count on the client is usually maxed at the 20 fps lock that I have it set to, so I don't think it

Guest tascaso

When I am flying a small GA in Alaska I love the VC cockpits and the more detail the merrier. I love a GA airplane with an excellent VC!!!! Now when flying the heavy iron I could care less. I am too busy looking at plates, FMC's, DH, V-speeds, runway minima, the autothrottles are surging and on an on.....I do not care...my head is down and I am not looking out the window cause it is just to scary out there! Yes the second monitor is on the way and it will be a Flat Screen...!Tony

Jeeze! What type were you in?Seminole.There was a temp inversion that day, and I think that's what influenced the early stall.Were you able to recover with control inputs alone or did it require opposite power to stop the rotation?I was full opposite rudder and neutral controls and the thing was NOT stopping. The instructor called for it and applied opposite power, and eventually it came to a stop and we were just in a nice dive pretty close to the water.The horizon looked mighty good back in its rightful place.

Guess I'll be stuck in FS2002 for many years, if FS2004 goes only to the V-cockpit concept. Their goes all the wonderful freeware/payware panels I love to fly. Their goes PSS airbus, their goes 767Pic etc.. I mainly fly IFR, but do like to peek out the window here and there.I don't care to fly with square seats, and square panels.

Sounds like you had to change your clothes when you got back to the FBO!I was thinking about starting a "what was your scariest experience" thread but I don't know how well that would work on a flight SIM board. Your story would definitely qualify.

I do not really care for the vc panels.Some designers have uploaded to sites a fix for removing the vc panel via .mdl or .air files.I think all designers that release their models make a version of both for folks who like them and folks who do not.I have my favorite panels I like to use. 99% of the time the vc panel view messes up the 2d panel views.