Sign in to follow this  

Fly it with a Laptop !!

jerrycwo4I just purchased a SONY PCG-GRV 550 Laptop to use with my digital photography and since it had the room on the hard drive decided to also install FS2002. Man, was I surprised at how good it looked !!!I guess I should NOT have been surprised as it is more powerful than my twin-processor Northwest Falcon desktop. This new laptop has a Intel P4 2.4 GHz processor, 30GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM and a 7500 RADEON Graphics card with 32Mb memory. It also has a 16.1 screen with a 1280 x1024 resolution. It installed FS2002 with a 30 FPS (locked) and that's where I left it and that's where it stays, 80% of the time. The picture is really great!!!!! This laptop is in the $2000 range and comes with a LOT of other 'bells and whistles'. I love it !jerry

How heavy is that puppy? I'm just thankful I don't have to lug around a laptop anymore!! It sure sounds like you got a pretty good graphics adapter which is usually the drawback of most laptops!

Ditto at this end; I got the PCG 560 with the same features. One question: I cannot fly FS2K using the keyboard. None of the arrow keys, with any SHIFT/CNTL or other combination seem to work. Do you have the same issue. If not, what haven't I set correctly?Rory

jerrycwo4 The laptop weighs 8.5 pounds with the battery ( one battery but you can add a second optional battey for a total of two, if you desire)and the optical drive ( DVD-ROM/CD-RW).2nd question. I also bought a smaller version of the Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joy stick to use with the laptop. The handle does NOT twist for the rudder on this model but I have the "auto rudder" option, in the settings checked, so that it flys pretty good.You can get the aircraft airborne with just the 4 - arrow keys in the lower righthand part of the keyboard. The left and right arrows control the rudder and the up and down arrows, the elevators. It would be pretty hard to fly with the arrows, but you could get the aircraft airborne enough to set the autopilot. The little Microsoft joystick works real good and I will only be flying on the laptop when I go on vacation and such times as I am away from home.jerry