Sign in to follow this  
Guest suncanadian

Northern NAT Tracks

Guest suncanadian

Hi, just had a question while I was flight planning.You have your typical NAT tracks taht run across the Atlantic, but are there tracks that extend far north near Greenland? Reply would be appreciated.

Guest suncanadian

thanks for the link, yes I have consulted it. I was just browsing through the forum and I found an Aeroflot FP from UUEE-KLAX. The path took it very north, 75N020E, etc etc.. The sight you provided does not have tracks up there?

Guest quixeven

Hi there,I suppose you are talking about "polar tracks" ;)For the official description of "how they work" and "how to use them" I suggest you read the relevant parts of the NAT MNPSA manual (that is, page 26 of the pdf file), available here:http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/MNPSA9/mnps9.pdfThese are fixed tracks, so I'll see if I can give you the waypoint details later today.Cheers,

Guest quixeven

Alright, I've found the missing pic that shows how the PTS looks like:http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/MNPSA9/mnps9fg3.pdfAnd here is the waypoint detail:PTS1 (EGPX):MATIK 6612N N6920 N7440 THT SINVUPTS2 (EGPX):GONUT 6608N N7320 N7840 ROGSOPTS3 (ENSV):FLS EDURA SECON N7454 N8030 LTPTSP (ENTR):VIG ABADA ADOBI FORUM N7810 N8120 PELRIPTSQ (EGPX):LIRKI 6605N N7010 N7620 N8040 LTPTSR (EGPX):MATIK 6612N N7120 N7740 ROGSOPTSS (EGPX):RATSU 6820N 7440N THT SINVUJust a word of warning: as you probably know, 7440N is not the same as N7440. The first means N74

Guest Koen

Hi,A small correction there: N7440 means N74

Guest quixeven

Thanks Koen, especially for the coordinates correction: I was persuaded that it was N74

Guest suncanadian

Hi Koen/quixeven,Thanks for the awesome information! I was asking around elsewhere and no one could give me an answer. Koen, you say these routes are hardly ever used - why is that?Is it not economical for long flights, such as KLAX-UUEE?- Sun

Guest Koen

Hi,The PTS is usually used for flights between western Europe and Alaska. Most of the flightplans via the PTS I've seen are Nippon Cargo plans between PANC and EHAM/EDDF, but other companies like Condor/Thomas Cook (charter flights from Germany) use them too. With "they are hardly ever used" I meant to say there are only a few (say 15) flights per week via the PTS. I've never seen a KLAX-UUEE flightplan filed via the PTS for example. The best reason for that I can think of, is that the flight's routing is more west-east then the tracks are. So a random route is more economic than the PTS. :)Cheers,http://home.planet.nl/~duijn181/cu2/koen.jpg

Guest ben_eddt

Hi,I just spoke to an Lufthansa 747 Co Pilot and he said that especially for the EDDF_KLAX routes they are mostly flying north polar tracks and quiteless NAT tracks. But only for these Europe / West Coast routes.Europe/East Coast routes are always NAT track routs (that

Guest mc.kar

>Hi,>>I just spoke to an Lufthansa 747 Co Pilot and he said that>especially for the EDDF_KLAX routes they are mostly flying>north polar tracks and quite>less NAT tracks. But only for these Europe / West Coast>routes.>Europe/East Coast routes are always NAT track routs (that

Guest mottoth1

I know quite well AFR's LFPG-KLAX routings (that must be quite similar to the EDDF-KLAX routings), and never saw one using the Polar Track System.LFPG-KLAX flights usually go as north as 60