Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Anyone try TrackIR and send it back??

I'm still amazed how many don't use or haven't heard of TrackIR simply because I think once you've tried it, you will never go back. I know some people like the 3D glasses, but I didn't like them at all, but I don't know anybody who has tried TrackIR and was less than amazed. If you had a lukewarm reaction to TrackIR, I'd be interested to know. And, no, I am not connected to the company in the least.Some people said a few months ago that it was too expensive, but I bet most of those spent at least as much on other addons by now. I would rather have TrackIR and ONE addon plane (probably SF260) then every addon imaginable and no TrackIR. That's just me.David

Hear Hear..it's great I fly only aircraft in VC, with Active Camara, TrackIR and recently 3d glasses and it is great! Skip the 2d panels please :(Rob "Holland&Holland" de VriesFor accurate and custom made ambient and nature sounds(sets) for Lago's FSSoundscape go to:"What Is It Like to See with Your Ears"

RobdeVries.jpg

I was starting to think maybe your cousin is the TrackIR guy... ;)I thought about trying it, but how does it work with multiple monitors? How often to you find it moving when you don't want it to? Do you use WideView? How do you re-use the dots or do you just buy extra sheets?

>I was starting to think maybe your cousin is the TrackIR >guy... ;) No, but I wish he was! ;-)>>I thought about trying it, but how does it work with >multiple monitors? Great! In fact this is the best way to use it. My primary monitor is always in VC mode with the TrackIR. The extra monitors have the engine gauges, avionics, and some of the other controls that are nice to have (eg. altitude selector on the SenecaV). I had to create some of the 2D panels myself, especially for the Seneca. It is possible to look at the extra monitors without moving your head too much, but even if you do move it, only the primary monitor view changes and you're not looking at that one anyways.How often to you find it moving when you >don't want it to? Never, but it does take some getting used to in the beginning. Think of it as a head-controlled mouse. The movement is not so much from turning your head, as many people think. If it was, that would be problematic because you wouldn't be able to see the monitor when turning your head 90 degrees. Instead you quickly learn to shift your head slightly side to side or up and down to pan, and the movement is smooth and virutally instantaneous - not like the painfully slow panning from the hat. You can look at the other monitors or around the room - even get up and answer the phone, but when you return and look back at the main monitor you will be looking straight ahead again, just like it should be. It becomes every bit as intuitive as a mouse very quickly. The movements become almost imperceptible. As you get better at it you will likely bump the sensitivity up, which makes the head movements even less noticeable. If you do shift around in your seat a bit, it only takes a simple keypress to recenter it.When I turn base to final I simply look at the end of the runway and the plane rotates around my focal point, just like real life. Unintentional movement is no more likely than if a sudden spasm of your hand suddenly interfered with moving your mouse. I was concerned I might get a stiff neck but I've used this for hours at a time with absolutely no ill effects. Believe me - I hesitated to buy this thing because it sounded so gimmicky but it is absoultely life altering (in terms of simming anyway!) Do you use WideView? No I don't. I assume only your primary window would move. If you are one of those lucky few with a home built Imax system, then you probably don't need TrackIR. I seriously considered buying an LCD projector for FS but I think this is everybit as good and a tiny fraction of the price. In many ways its more flexible too.How do you re-use >the dots or do you just buy extra sheets? You can peel the dot off your forehead and stick it to your yoke for reuse. I tend to stick them all over the house, which drives my wife nuts. I've also gone out in public with one on my head more than a few times! The dots are a bit more expensive than I think they should be and they don't give you a ton. I tried reflective tape without any luck. I know they are working on a more elegant solution.If TrackIR isn't on your Christmas/Hannukah list, it should be!David

> "I've also gone out in public with one on my head more than a few times"Gawd that made me laugh! That is the exact type of thing that I would do! Maybe people just thought it was a religious symbol (FS is a religion, right?).>"If you are one of those lucky few with a home built Imax system, then you probably don't need TrackIR. I seriously considered buying an LCD projector for FS but I think this is every bit as good and a tiny fraction of the price"Trouble with a projector is that you still have the same field of vision as on your primary display; everything is just bigger. As far as I know there is no way to get a 120^ field of view without using WideView. Right now I'm running four monitors, three on the primary and one WV client looking front left. At some point I'd like to go to a second client for front right. However, right now the WideView still has a significant stutter problem that detracts from the experience. But it is very cool to see the taxiway you need to turn to on the client. Another drawback of WideView is the complete lack of AI coordination on the clients - nothing worse than turning left on a open taxiway and then seeing opposite traffic when the view comes around to your primary.I guess I need to take another look at TrackIR. The other "challenge" I have is keeping my desktop somewhat usable for more "legitimate" PC uses. The ultimate FS desk does not make for the ultimate work desk. TrackIR could solve some of this clutter.Do you ever fly any a/c without a VC - like PIC. If so, do you have any trouble getting the view back to straight ahead without any cockpit landmarks to center your view?

>>Do you ever fly any a/c without a VC - like PIC. If so, do >you have any trouble getting the view back to straight ahead >without any cockpit landmarks to center your view? Dennis,PIC is the only nonVC plane I use now and I don't use that very much either. When I do, I will use the VC mode for taxiing but it is hard without any landmarks. It would be nice to at least have the window pillars. Actually, though, the beauty of TrackIR is that you no longer have to align the outside view with your cockpit. For example, with a stiff crosswind you are going to have to crab into the wind on final. The 2D panel is difficult to deal with in this case because the runway will be uncentered (the center of the panel remains centered-not the runway). In extreme cases you might even have to view the runway out the 45 degree angle view (unlikely, but I'm just making a point). With TrackIR in VC mode you focus on the runway and make changes to your approach to stay on the centerline irrespective on where the panel is. Just like in a real plane. You don't fly final thinking "OK, the runway centerline needs to be aligned with the center pillar". The point is, even without a VC cockpit, you do learn to react to how the ground is moving relative to your position and respond accordingly. DOes that make sense at all?DavidOther great programs that don't work with TrackIR and hence, become unusable IMO include CFS3, CFS2, and Falcon 4.IL2 works extremely well with it! Imagine scanning the skies looking for enemies. First person shooters work with it but that just makes me nauseous! Definitely sensory overload.David

Guest kdfw

Hi,I can also say that trackIR is a must have for FS. If you have this, then 3D glassess will make it even better. VC panning feels natural and as decribed here, it works great in app/landings. I don't use these gadgets for 767PIC (no VC), but I will not fly without them for SF260 (awsome), CRJ, stock AC. Looking forward to RT's 742 w/ its VC.I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of awareness of these HW by the FS community...Pat

Guest gasebah

I have been using trackIR for many month now and it is one of the best hardware additions I ever bought. I have a home cockpit setup with three monitors and I 2nd every word David had said on this topic. BTW you can also use it with a projector. I have tried a projector recently btw and I was shocked how bad a pumped projector picture (XGA) is even with FSAA 4x and all the things to improve picture quality. I am quite fine with trackIR and my 19" ate 1600x1200x32. I never go back to a 2D panel. Planes without a VC stay in my hangar since I have it.Alex