Sign in to follow this  

Iron Knuckles DC9 is awesome!

I agree, very impressive aircraft, great job Flight One, can't wait to see the Meridian if this is any indication!

I see that you can download the whole package from their site, without paying for it first. Does this mean it works as a trial version before you actually pay for it or does it work at all?It would be cool to take it for a short test flight before purchasing..

No. The executable activates a secure ordering connection to Flight1 so that you may purchase the DC-9. After a succesful purchase the installation then proceeds. If at any time you need to reinstall the package you'll have a key saved on your computer that will allow you to do so. It's not a trial version. But, having used it and gotten quite a bit of enjoyment out of it, I couldn't see putting the -9 through trials anyhow. After only a couple of minutes I'd go and purchase it. The visual model is outstanding, the sounds superb, and the panel quite lovely. I'm very happy with this purchase. I do seem to be having problems with the panel, but I'm sure I'll get those sorted out in time. It's a very worth-while purchase, IMO.

Guest Clement Guivarc h

Hey, do u have to purchase this aircraft from the computer on which you play fs ? Coz I have a computer for fs which is not connected to internet, and a computer for internet which doesn't have fs installed...What are theliveries included ?../)_/). _ Cl

Guest TimD

You can still do all that. After you go through the purchase process, a backup copy of the key and the direct installation program is copied to your hard drive. For example, if your hard drive is "C", the files would be placed in C:Flight 1 Software. Then just copy the folder with the backup registration key and the install program to a zip disk or CD. Whatever has the storage capacity for the files.Place both files on the hard drive of the second computer, execute the download file, and press the Reinstall button. Just point the dialog box that comes up to the location of that key on your hard drive, and the installer will bypass the payment process and install the files.http://www.fsheartland.net/images/Signature_F1.jpg

Guest dpc

there is great looking C9 included. Did about 15 T & G's last night and it handles great! Someone asked about sound, well the sound is just awesome!I recommend.Dave

Since it doesn't have an FMC (like the real one), then where does the flight plan go? Does the autopilot follow the flight plan?

Kerke,No disrespect, but in the not so old days planes did not simply fly themselves around the country, landing without any input from the pilot. Although some "old" planes had INS, most were simply handflown from waypoint to waypoint. This means you'll have to use two radios +/- DME to know when you are at a waypoint, etc. You should find it a refreshing change from the button pushing! In any case, that is why it is called "Iron Knuckles", not "Button pushing". (Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the glass cockpits too!)David

Guest eko

After the "flurry" of "not-so-smooth" commercial releases lately, it's refreshing to see a package get immediate praise instead of immediate disapproval. :-)Word of mouth still goes a LOOOOOONG way, IMHO. :-)

Hi Eko,Well of course we have a few issues to work out just like any release once it gets on many other computers of varying systems and things that were not caught by staff or beta testers, but we will get them and get them all resolved in good time if all can be patient.ThanksJim Rhoads

What do you do on the DC9 when ATC tells you "vectors for KMIA ILS 09L, fly direct HEATT, cross HEATT at 16000, then direct LONNI, direct KAINS, exit KAINS heading 270"?

Kerke,That's a good question. To fly IFR without the GPS, you really need high/low altitude enroute charts. All waypoints are defined by some combination of nav aids, either vectors from 2 or more navaids or 1 navaid plus DME. Typically you are routed to a VOR then outbound on an airway until a waypoint on the airway, etc. There is no way to fly from an isolated waypoint to another without GPS that I am aware of. In the real world, you would be vectored to a waypoint by ATC.The best examples I know of are the complex SIDS/STARS used in Europe. You really have to study the charts and set up the radios properly to follow their convoluted road maps. Hope this helps!David

Guest TimD

Afraid you're dead wrong about that. The real one is not so simple to describe. The DC 9 changed substantially over the 40 years since it was put into service. Most DC 9's had to be retrofitted to incoporate that level of technology. Others that were manufactured later down the line, particularly the Series 50, did indeed include those conveniences. The real one that we modeled does not have any such thing. Nor does it utilize an INS, or any other high-tech navigation or autopilot systems. That's what the Iron Knuckles series is all about.http://www.fsheartland.net/images/Signature_F1.jpg

Guest jaapverduijn

Right on! I'm jolly glad I didn't pre-order/buy f'rinstance the CS727: today I downloaded and bought the DC9 instead. Only flew it for 5 minutes with just about every warning signal beeping, whining, yelling and honking at me, but it was fun! And once I've got the manual duly read and digested, I'll sure get rid of (most of) the warning sounds, and enjoy even more!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest TimD

"What do you do on the DC9 when ATC tells you "vectors for KMIA ILS 09L, fly direct HEATT, cross HEATT at 16000, then direct LONNI, direct KAINS, exit KAINS heading 270"? On the DC 9 Load Manager you have the option to include the FS 2002 GPS, which comes up in a typical pop-up window. Not exactly Iron Knuckles, but we realize this is a standard FS feature many have some to rely upon.http://www.fsheartland.net/images/Signature_F1.jpg