Sign in to follow this  

Ready to upgrade my Operating System! Please help?

I currently have Windows ME (I keep reading how it's one of the worst operating systems released...don't know how true that is). Anyway, I would like to upgrade to Windows XP Home Edtion. The OS I am looking at says OEM. What does that (OEM) mean? I was going to purchase it from TCWO.com for $94.00. Is that a good deal? Is TCWO a good place to purchase? I bought/built my entire system from them about a year ago with no problems. Please help a fellow simmer out?Jason

OEM - original equipment manufacturer. It probably means it is the full version vice the upgrade version. I recommend going full version over upgrade version. If you decide otherwise, do a fresh install of WinME, then do the upgrade immediately after. Another thing to ask vendor is if their version is WinXP SP1, otherwise you will have to download or purchase a $10 CD from Microsoft with the SP1 update (138MB file).Try shopping at www.pricewatch.com to see if you can get a better deal. When I find a good vendor, one that provides excellent response, service, and quality control (no mistakes on orders), I usually stick with them. Doesn't hurt to shop around though.

I have ordered from TCWO before and love them. I would definetly buy from them again. I bought a CPU from them, and they even threw some candy into the box for me. ;-)Matt

Guest Edam

>I currently have Windows ME (I keep reading how it's one of >the worst operating systems released...don't know how true >that is)Despite what you have read, is it working well for you? I had ME for a long time without a problem, including the running of FS. Changing operating systems can be painful. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.Also, you didn't mention your system specs. XP is more demanding on your PC than ME is. I would suggest having 512 megs of memory, although it will run reasonably well with less, depending on the rest of your system.

>"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."ME was broke when MS shipped it. ;)OEM it typically a full version so you should be good to go. You just won't have the pretty box.

Guest Edam

>ME was broke when MS shipped it. ;) Indeed, the perfect operating system has yet to be created.(Uh, oh...here come the MAC and Linux users!)

Guest JohnN

Hi,My experience with 'OEM' versions has been a slight problem. Whenever I sought tech help, they always ask for the registration number. When you come the the part where it has 'OEM', they stop you and say, you have to go back to the vendor for tech help. My guys are great techies, but don't compare to Microsoft's for the details.As a result, my new machine wil have a retail version of XP and the ATI 9700 Pro card.Regards, John

In theory OEM versions should only ship with new computers. So if you have a serial number that contains "OEM", you'll be told by Microsoft to contact the manufacturer of the computer for help. Kind of hard if you built the computer yourself :-lol So, you may have problems getting tech support from Microsoft. Depending on how tech-savvy you are, that may or may not be a problem.If you buy an upgrade version of XP, you don't have to install another OS first. You should be able to install the upgrade on an empty harddrive, provided you have an original Win98/ME/2000 CD.At least I didn't have to do that with WinME upgrade. I installed it on an empty harddrive, and the installer asked me to insert the Win98 CD to verify that I was entitled to use the upgrade version. It read from the CD for a couple of seconds, then I put the ME cd back and it continued with the installation of ME.Should be the same with the WinXP upgrade.I also ran WinME for about one year. It's not as bad as some people want you to believe. It's the best 9x-based OS, IMO. WindowsXP will offer greater stability though.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yes, during the install of XP (upgrade edition) you just have to stick either an NT/95/98/ME/2000 CD in the drive to confirm that you qualify for the upgrade. Also, make sure that you format your hard drive as NTFS - it is more efficient than FAT32. I think you'll find it easier to install on a 'clean' drive rather than over the top of ME. XP is very good - the only problems I've had were when I tried to install the latest detonator drivers, but even then you can just roll back to the last drivers with just a click of a button - magic!Also, does anyone actually get support from Microsoft? You still have access to their knowledge base etc.