Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Those Corny Memories... and the new ones...

Anyone having flashback memories-- especially with the release of the iron knuckles DC-9?I know I am! I remember my childhood flights on those 707's,727's DC-8's and DC-9's. I remember the airlines; Western, Braniff, Hughes, Republic, PSA, Texas-- all now gone:(I remember when everyone dressed up because it was a special occassion, and you didn't have to sit next to some smelly guy in a sleaveless shirt and grungy shorts. Meals were hot, and nobody fought with the attendants-- or stewardesses as they were. These days I fly often, but sadly I don't have fond memories about the flights. Was it a 737 or Airbus? Who knows-- they seem the same. What I remember was how crowded the airplane was, and how my lunch was a sack of peanuts and a cup of soda. I remember walking in the terminals and seeing the pilots walk by with their uniforms and caps-- and how in awe I was. Nowadays it sadly seems like they are looked upon as just "drivers". Anyone care to share their memories?

Like you I remember when an airline flight was a very special thing. You can still get some of that when flying with an overseas carrier. It isn't only the materials things, the flight attendants were pleasant in all classes, not just in 1st class. Now living overseas, I'm looking forward to fly with as many carriers as I can sample. Air France was fine in a short flight from Paris to Stuttgart, GE, but not so good flying Washington Dulles to Paris. The other things I've noticed is that the passengers overseas are polite, quiet, and considerate of the other passengers. Some US carriers are trying to bring the special feeling back. One that comes to mind is JetBlue. I haven't flown with them, but I'm told that it's an experience.Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Guest crashing_pilot

imagine a 6 year old boy standing at schiphol,watching planes for the very first time..a 747 comes up...boy the sound!!...dad,what the he## is that thing?well son,that