Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

TI4200 and 3D Mark score doubles and Overclock Questio

After thinking about what type of upgrade I wanted to do this year I decided I would go with a GF4 since I can O/C my AMD XP without any problems.I got a ASUS V8420 ala GF4 TI4200 128MB.I really wanted a 4600 but could not efford it.Plus once again you can O/C to GF4 4600 speed without problems .I must admit I did not think FS2002 would change to much but with my settings from the GF3 I had, FS2002 ran so smooth I could not believe it.I cranked up the FSAA to 4xS and antisotropic texturing to 4x and still pretty smooth.I got some small stutters at DFW and LAX but nothing like it was before.I would hear my HD just start to crunch as if it was going to die and the screen would always stutter abit while the textures where loading but not anymore.I still get some small ammount of stutter which should by now just be expect with all the complex addons coming out etc.I just had to say iam really impressed with the 4200.I can only imagine the 4600.If you are looking to upgrade this is it. :)Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100Asus V8420 Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MBSBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Luigi windows 98 can not handle more than 512MB of ram very well at all.I would get winXP or Win 2k.They both have better memory management and are designed to use gobs of ram very well.Win 98 was out in a time when 256MB was ALOT :).If you go with a new O/S your scores should certainly increase.However Benchmarking say nothing about how each game will play so they are really can of pointless IMHO.Benchmark with 3dmark 2001 twice in a row and see if you get the same numbers.I have never seen it . Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

RC3 ships from Tennessee and the guys are really quick about shipping the orders (they're quick about everything - best service you'll ever see). I got mine today and can say you'll love it. On the FSB issue, yes, just boost it one at a time until the programs become unstable or the box won't boot. Then back off 1-2. Remember, you NEVER want the core temperature to go above 60C so be sure you have a way to keep a good check on it. You may want to drop over to http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and pick up Motherboard Monitor to keep tabs on the voltages and temperatures. A really nice freeware utility which has pretty much become the standard for OC work. At some point you'll have to up the core voltage to keep increasing the FSB so you oughta do a little research on voltage increases also. Trip

It's not a boo-boo John. It's more Intels marketing guys dealing another confusing hand :-) .Trip

Guest abent

Hi Cyborg, I have 512 DDR333.Adam

Guest abent

Hi Trip, I can change the FSB to 140Mhz, but the DRAM automatically sets itself at 140Mhz as well. I can't make any FSB change without the DRAM changing to the same value. OR I can pick a ratio such as 1:1 which will again give equivalent values, or 1:2 which ends up as 333Mhz on the DRAM. In any event if I go over 140 on the FSB - no boot - Windows protection message.I dunno what to do. I think I'll wait and see if anyone else has any luck with this board. This ratio thing was discussed on one OC website and they said it was something like "inconvenient" and that the board was not particularly OC friendly. I'll say. ;) Anyway, again thanks a lot for your assistance. I've learned a lot in the past couple days.Take care, Adam

>Hi Cyborg, >>I have 512 DDR333. >>Adam So it shouldn't be a memory problem, that's PC2700 and should be good to FSB166 at 1:1 ratio

I just posted to your reply at the screen shot forum - should have looked here first.Its good to see that at least you're having some success at o'clocking. While your results are not typical, it may be that your P4 is at the low end of the statistical scale. Keep in mind that Intel is only producing one desktop P4 die. The ones that test out at 2.8 get locked and sold as such, same with the 2.53, etc. Your chip tested 2.4 which it certainly is capable of. While higher o'clock performance is common I wouldn't rule out that you've reached the limit of the chip. Regardless, at 2.5 with your Ti4200 you've shown excellent performance with FS on your new machine.

Guest tonyc

O/C is a fairly easy thing to do, providing that you have very good cpu and case cooling fans. Here's the dilemma: if you want to o/c , you need to make sure that the cpu will not get too hot and fail. This is why o/c have either very powerful and noisy cpu coolers( they make you go crazy, no joking) or watercooling. Depending on your current cpu and cooling setup , you can try increasing the fsb( bus speed) in your bios and see what happens. there are many good sites that help o/c want a be. Me? I finally realized that the price of a new cpu is not much more than rigging the computer with additional cooling and noise.tony

Guest abent

Hi Dennis, This may well be the case. Though there seem to be a rash of people having the same oc'ing troubles with this board (MSI 648MAX). I've read many posts from other people who can either not oc by 1 Mhz or can accomplish a minimal oc such as I can. Cyborg, That's good that my RAM can take the speed, but if I change my FSB, the DRAM always go to the same frequency, ie if I go with 140 FSB, then the DRAM also goes to 140Mhz.Thanks gents, Adam

Me? I finally realized that the >price of a new cpu is not much more than rigging the >computer with additional cooling and noise. >>tony Wrong!!When I bought my 2.4B it cost $190.00.The 2.8 was around $400.00I clocked my 2.4 to 2.8 with stock HSF without the need of upping the voltage and the temps under prime95 where about 49C

Guest abent

Further reading has led me to the fact that I should disable "Clock Speed Spectrum" as if it is enabled after an overclock, the cpu may lock up due to spike in clock speed.I'll let you know my findings after work.Thanks, Adam

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi my frends,thanks a lot for posting.Just ran a new test after reset via Riva Tuner default values for my video card. This time 3DMark2001 score is 9514 without any CPU or Video Card OC. As soon as possible will try disabling 256MB of ram.cheers allLuigi ;-)

Luigi - See this writeup on managing the memory of Win98 systems with more than 512MB RAM - http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm . By limiting the cache size you can safely stay with all your RAM and not have to disable anything. Here's a quote from the article:"VCache increasing above 512 MB can create serious memory handling problems. If you have more than 512 MB of RAM, a VCache maximum of 524,288 KB (or a little less) is recommended. This is obtained by adding a MaxFileCache=x entry in the [vcache] section of SYSTEM.INI, where x is the maximum value you wish to set. VCache is limited internally to a maximum cache size of 800 MB. The problem is that, on computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum VCache size can be large enough that it consumes all of the available addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as opening an MS-DOS prompt. This problem may occur more easily if you have an AGP video adapter: The AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in the system arena, and if VCache is using its entire 800 MB allowance and an AGP video adapter has a 128 MB aperture mapped, there will be very little address space remaining for other system code and data that must occupy the available range of virtual addresses."Trip

I'm sorry but in response to the original post and in reference to the continuing debate about CPU and FS2002, this doesn't make sense. Everyone keeps saying how CPU dependent FS2002 is, but when you doubled your clock speed you only got 2 FPS increase?!?! OR are you saying that the 2 FPS increase came after only upgrading your video card? Just wanting clarification. Thanks.Randall