Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

3D suggested settings - Donald?

I have a GeForce II Ultra, 64mb card with a 21' monitor. I am wondering if you have any suggestions as to the optimum 3D settings in the Stereo Properties section in the Display tab for the following: Gamma, Stereo Separation, Resolution and Stereo Refresh Rate????Thanks a lot,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Howdy Howard,I started answering and had a computer crash, losing everything so have to start over. For gamma, I use a setting of 1.4 to 1.5. This somewhat overcomes the tendency of the LCD shutters darkening everything. Any thing higher than this seems foggy or milky to me. Just increase or decrease your settings a bit at a time using the default CTRL+G. You can then approximate that setting permenantly in the Stero Properties box.For Stero Seperation, we are tempted at first to run 30% then 100%, and 100% is drop dead realistic looking at the panel, but objects on the ground don't look right, particularly runway lights VASI and PAPPI lights, Towers, VORS and the like. That is because the lights are not 3D objects, they are actually plastered against your screen just as the 2D panels are. I have found a setting of 15 to 20% of Stero Seperation, gives me a good 3D appearing virtual cockpit and still keeps things on the ground in proper perspective. You may notice if you get too much Stero Seperation when coming in on final for your landing, the VASI lights are doubled and spread out across your landing strip. This is the result of too much Stero Seperation. I suggest start at 15% in the properties box, then in flight use the default CTRl+F4 to increase your Stero Seperation while flying into a field with VASI or PAPPI lights, (VASI at Meigs). Ctrl+F3 will reduce your Stero Seperation.Resolution and refresh run hand in hand so to speak. The higher the resolution you have the lower the refresh rate will be. On my 19" monitor the sweet spot for me seems to be 1280x960x32. This gives me a natural refresh rate of 85hz, at which I cannot detect any flicker. Going to 1600x1200 resolution will give me a refresh rate of 75hz. AT that resolution that is the best I can do and I can see some flicker. So I naturally run at 1280x960. At 1024x768 I get 120 hz refresh rate, but I cannot tell any difference in the flicker at 120 or 85. 75, yes I can see the flicker. I doubt if anyone has fast enough eyes to see a flicker at 120hz. (that is my opinion only).Lets see that covers Gamma, Stero Seperation, and Resolution and refresh rate. one more tip that has been useful for me.I have changed some of my Default hotkeys in the SteroSeperation box as the ones that use the ALT keys conflict with FS2002, i.e. if you use the ALT in the sim the menu bar drops down spoiling everything. So I have mapped these hotkeys to using the SHIFT keys. To do this go to the Additional Properties button on the Stero Properties box,on the new box there is a place to input a New HotKey. Type your new Hotkey then click Set button.I just changed the assignments using the same Function Key but used Shift instead of control.Toggle Stero on/of Shift+F2 ( I use Shift+T for tailhook).Less Stero Seperation Shift+F3More Stero Seperation Shift+F4 (FS uses this for Reheat afterburner)Save Image Shift+F1Increase Gamma CTRL+GDecrease Gamma Shift+GIf you fly a lot of jets you may want to use a different hot key combination for More Stero Seperation. FS uses this for Reheat/Afterburner, so if you fly a lot of jets I suggest moving this hotkey to SHIFT+F5 that way there is no FS2002 functions on any of these keys, with the exception of CTRL+G is used to manually pump the landing gear down.Hope these suggestions help,

Hi Donald-Thank you, once again. Your help has been invaluable and I am truly beginning to really appreciate this new dimension.Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

It's me again-Donald, I was wondering if my Stereo settings should be the same as my FS2002 settings? For example, in Fs2002 my settings are 32mb, 1024x768.Thanks once more,Howard

Howard

Turn off T&L, this will allow the vasi and all other 3d objects to appear properly............Have A Good Day !!!! Rex

Thanks Rex, I will try that suggestion, for some reason I never thought of that before. :-roll but it sounds like a good idea.Howard the resolution doesn't make any difference in the sim. The resolution will be whatever you set it at, assuming that you did a stero test at 1024x768 and saved it in the Stero Setup box, everything should be okay. The resolution doesn't even have to be the same as your desktop resolution, when you go into full screen in the simulator, the resolution will be whatever it is set in the sim.

That was a very good tip Rex. You should post that tip again at the front of the forum, it did indeed work and using 100% Stero Seperation, really enhances the reality of the 3D.Howard write down the tip that Rex was kind enough to give us and run in 100% Stero Seperation. You might have to go in steps and let your eyes get used to difference. For me, I am able to tolerate 100% with out any problems at all. I have used Stero for more than an hour without any eyestrain at a refresh rate of 85 hz.A tip of the hat to Rex >:-)Perhaps we should start lobbying AvSim to put up a holographic screenshot forum. Do you think there is enough SteroFreaks out here to warrent such an action? :)

Thanks Donald, I will give it a try tonite.

Howard