Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

FMCs?

I recently found an aircraft that has an FMC in it -- it is reasonably complex and gives you all kinds of information related to different phases of jetliner flight for a large number of aircraft. From what I have seen so far, it gathers its information from the Sim as you are flying . Although it was installed in this particular aircraft panel , it came with no information -- so I went looking for it and discovered that it is an "old" FS98 gauge by Tom Corson. But it appears to be quite happy working in FS2002.I have managed to successfully transfer this gauge to a couple of my other freeware jets .Is anybody using this gauge? What other freeware FMCs are out there?Thanks Barry

Can't give you a link -- but do a search for the Author I. D'Attomo.The original aircraft was an A320-200 - but I then had to do a search in Google for CORSON FMC to get the info on the gauge -- it comes with a 20 page manual.Barry

Barry,I use it in my freeware panel for three years now (file rcbpn-50.zip here at avsim)From my readme.txt:This is TC.FMC V.1.0.0. See also document TC.FMC.txt in the Documents subfolder for operating instructions.Some remarks:- According to Tom's documentation this version doesnot work with FS2002; however, with some minor flaws it works OK for me. Personally I find it the most-valueable freeware gauge that I've seen sofar. A great help for proper starts/landings of heavy jets.- The previous selected aircraft type is not remembered at startup, or when switching to FS2002 fullscreen mode vice versa, so you have to re-select it each time you load a new flight.- This version does not contain data for a Boeing 777; select the BOEING 747-400 instead. A good enough approximation.Tom informed me that he is planning an update of his FMC for FS2K2; when he releases this, I will make an update of my panel.Known bugs (with FS2K2): Loud alarmtone during loading of a flight, or FS2002 crashes after some time.Both bugs are probably related to uninitialised variables of the TC.FMC gauge (since it was designed for FS98).REMEDY: after starting FS2002, always load a flight containing an aircraft that doesnot use this panel, set the throttles to idleand then change aircraft via the Aircraft-Select Aircraft menu.Rob

>Known bugs (with FS2K2): Loud alarmtone during loading of a >flight, >or FS2002 crashes after some time. >Both bugs are probably related to uninitialised variables of >the >TC.FMC gauge (since it was designed for FS98). >REMEDY: after starting FS2002, always load a flight >containing >an aircraft that doesnot use this panel, set the throttles >to idle >and then change aircraft via the Aircraft-Select Aircraft >menu. I haven't come across this "bug" -- because I nearly always start with a particular aircraft and then go to another aircraft anyways !! :) It is very clever that this FS98 gauge that the designer says won't work with FS2000 , actually does work with FS2002!! :) I haven't done a lot of jet flying -- I have done some and always by hand - using ,manual "thinking: - in other words , I don't lock the A/P to some Nav programme but work things out for myself -- but my thinking has been somewhat deficient because of a lack of info about V speeds, flap speeds , etc for different Aircraft at different weights. This little gauge seems to solve that problem for me.Barry

>Tom informed me that he is planning an update of his FMC for >FS2K2; >when he releases this, I will make an update of my panel. Do you have an email addrss for Tom Corson ? -- maybe if we emailed him and told him how much we like his old gauge and are "hanging out" for an update, he might go from the planning stage to the implementation stage!! :)Barry

Last address I had for Tom was corson@infodyn.com but that was some time ago, don't know if it is still current.I used his excellent FMC & fuel gauge in FS98 and had some success with it in FS2k. At that time I did email Tom to ask if he was doing an update for FS2k but IIRC I got no reply.I have no real need for it now as I tend to fly the 'payware' heavies but it is an excellent gauge and it would be nice to see it available for FS2k2.From memory the aircraft database for flight performance is quite extensive so if you do get a response from Tom don't be surprised if he asks you for help in compiling the figures for the database :(