Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edam

Desparetly need help...System will not boot...

Guest abent

I just got back from having my computer fixed. I tried changing the FSB speed. I tried 1 MHz increments. A soon as I changed it from 133 MHZ to 134, the system won't boot. Have I destroyed my mobo?All I get is the "check signal cable" box flashing on the monitor.HELP!!! Just goes to show you shouldn't fool with settings I you don't know what you're doing!Thanks in advance,Adam

Guest Edam

It sounds like your monitor is not plugged into the PC properly.

lol, ...assuming u have a 133mhz rated system, this overclock is NOTHING. I'd say most likely some dumb setting that only allows factory ratings to be installed.B

Guest abent

Hi Edam, It's definetly plugged in properly.Thanks, Adam

Guest abent

Will try the fan suggestion. Could 1 Mhz result in an increased cpu temp enough to overheat it?And, no , I don't know how to over-clock. That's why I'm in this mess now. :-( Thanks, Adam

Guest sunstriker

HiGo into bios reset default value for fsb and processorCheck ram modules are not badly seated, also check AGP video card is seated correctly; my experience says ram will stop you deadYou should be able to boot ok with defaultsSun

Guest abent

I would like to but I can't even boot. I tried starting in safe mode by holding down CTRL - can't even boot in safe mode. Thanks, Adam

Guest WorkingStiff

Don't you have a boot disk?Go to www.bootdisk.com and download one for Win98....you can save that on a single floppy and use it to boot your computer....then go to your BIOS and reset everything to defaults.

Guest abent

Tried it with a boot disk - WinMe startup disk I made a while ago. The disk drive won't even run.I may have killed this thing!Thanks, Adam

The motherboard's still OK Adam. A 1 Mhz change can't damage anything. You just need to reset the CMOS back to the default settings and you're back in business. Check the mobo manual for the location of the jumper or switch which will clear the CMOS entries and reset everything back to the default values. Once the defaults are restablished the system will boot back to state it was in before the FSB change.Trip

Another thing to try. Totally powerdown your system. As in take the plug out. Leave it for a couple of minutes and then try again.

Adam - What motherboard are you using? I'm betting it's still alive. Almost everyone who's ever seriously OC'd something has run into a situation like this at least once. Don't panic yet. Trip

Guest abent

Trip Lane...You're a computer GOD, man! You don't know how happy I am now. All is working fine after resetting the CMOS. :-yellow1 That scared the crap out of me. I've heard many stories/warnings about how you can kill your MB when playing with BIOS settings, and I thought I had.I guess I'll leave that kind of stuff to the pros. My overclocking days are over before they even started!Thanks to all who helped out. You guys are great!Adam

Hooray! Success! I'll never forget the first time that happened to me - spooky feeling. Anyway, I'm glad all is back to normal and the P4 is, once again, alive and well. - Trip