Sign in to follow this  

Round the World trip imminent

Guest outtatimeiii

I been planning my Round the World flight for near a month now (I been busy, and college finals are just around the corner). I was planning to take either a Stearman, a Tiger Moth, or a Ford Trimotor for the trip. This is supposed to be a fun VFR trip in real weather and no AP. I just hope my old prop could go across the ocean without running out of fuel LOL. I just hope I have time to complete this journey in a few months since the planes i'm going to fly are gonna be going low and slow LOL.

Good to hear that you are planning a RTW trip.If you want some ideas of places to see or airports that challenge, you might visit our RTW Buzz site:http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/index.php3Take a gander at the route pages and the accompanying narratives (the expanded narratives begin at Leg 61).Best wishes. You have a great adventure ahead of you!Mike (and the rest of the RTW Buzz gang)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest outtatimeiii

This would hopefully be my 1st complete trip around the world. I attempted it 3 times now, without success. First trip was with a Concorde, but I crashed it somewhere in africa (I forgot where at, it was 2 years ago). I was coming in for landing like normal and i hit a big gust of wind, I stalled, couldnt regain control, and crashed. I decided that RTW trip was over then.My 2nd time was when I took my old DHC2 Beaver out and tried it again. Since this was still FS2000, there was no traffic or nice scenery. I got almost into Greenland when I decided to abandon this because the weather up north got real bad real quick and my Beaver couldnt take that kind of abuse (Winds were like 50kts gusting to 70kts and visibility was near 0).I got almost halfway done with my 3rd RTW trip, and my flying buddy (I did this one in multiplayer) didnt wanna continue the flight. I didn't wanna go alone so this trip got abandoned too. That one was pretty fun though, and it took IFR flying to a whole new level :) There was maybe 5 or 6 times when there was a storm or fog at our destination airport and all we could do was IFR. My Dan-air deHavilland Comet 4C is still sitting at the virtual parking lot at Luxor Intl, Egypt.I found that flying manual is far more fun than flying with AP. So I hope I can complete this RTW trip with a old Stearman or Tiger Moth. I also gotta know in advance what the weather is at my destination, because those old props are not what you call IFR aircraft :) . So basically this trip will involve lots of planning and careful fuel management, and good virtual pilot skills LOL.

I've decided to do one as well, in the Piper Cheyanne. I'm not planning it too far in advance though. Rough idea is to cross over to Europe via Gander and Iceland, work my way down across the middle east, come across the sub-continent and then up the coast of Russia, perhaps visiting a number of Japanese and Korean airports. Then over and across to Alaska and then down the pan-handle and back to Napa, my starting point. I've set these rules for the flight:Real weatherNo time compressionWhere charts are available, no using map view or FS Nav in flightNot using real time of day though since many of my legs will be flown after work. No in-flight refuelingWhere possible, real world proceeduresI've only flown one leg (yesterday), but I think it will be fun. Having to plan, ID divert fields, check weather etc. give me a real sense of purpose and realism that I lack in regular flights. Colin

Thanks for all the replies.Flying round the world seems to have become a core theme since the arrival of FS2002, due to the hugely improved scenery. This certainly accounts for my own initial motivation and on my last attempt, I was rewarded by some fabulous scenery in Greenland. I can't remember the location off-hand, but I'll be looking it up and using that spot again. I'm currently in Edinburgh Scotland after my first short hop, and I'll be flying to Keflavik, Iceland on Saturday. Details, pics and report at the url mentioned in my original message.Good luck to all of you on a similar endeavour and I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I do. (It's also a great way of improving your geography lol).