Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Reverse thrust problems - part 2

Since I did not realise that the F2 key was used for reverse thrust, I allocated another assignment to this key (save flight). However, since reverse thrust doesn't exist in the keyboard assignments list (well done Microsoft), how exactly do I get it back ?There must be thousands of FS2002 virtual airliner pilots on this forum. Have you all resigned yourselves to simply pressing the F2 key when you want to activate reverse thrust ? Don't any of you think that this is totally ridiculous ? If anyone has a solution to this problem, then feel free to provide it.How is reverse thrust defined in the FS2002.cfg file ? If I knew this, then I might be able to define my own command to activate it.Reverse thrust is STANDARD PRACTICE when it comes to landing a large airliner. Surely Microsoft could have come up with a better way to use it in FS2002 ? Looking Glass Studios managed it in FU3 with no problems whatsoever...........Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

OK, there are TWO entries for DECREASE THROTTLE in the keyboard assignments list. The first one should actually be REVERSE THRUST. Therefore, I changed this one from F2 to JOYSTICK BUTTON 1.Then the problems start. Whilst using the joystick button is CONSIDERABLY more effective than using the F2 key, reverse thrust itself appears to do very little. In fact, I couldn't detect any effect at all when I tried to slow my Bac 1-11 down. I had to use the brakes instead.So, where does that leave me ? I love the sound and effect of reverse thrust after landing, but FS2002 appears to simulate this very badly indeed. If I am missing something here, then will someone please let me know ? I just cannot believe that such an important aspect of airliner operations can be so badly simulated.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Aye, same here. Any ideas? Anyone? **listens to the crickets**DOH!REALLLLY want to know how to reverse thrust EFFECTIVELY LOL. Please?

Guest Mirage

Guys, the assignment exists in FS2002. It is listed as "Decrease throttle". Whatever button you assign this function, make sure you fill the bar of "repeat" mode next to the assignment. Also, it would be good if you calibrate your throttle settings through FSUIPC. Just the minimum and maximum settings. I hope this helps! :-)http://flightcraft.avsim.net/Images/andy_sig.jpg

Guest Lizardo

(I hate to say this, but some designers don't put in enough reverse, if any at all. Which plane are you trying to get it on?..there's a "yes" to be in AIR, and an amount in CFG.)

> Looking Glass Studios >managed it in FU3 with no problems whatsoever........... >Doesn't matter because Looking Glass modeled "my" KSLC area terribly! Couldn't even recognize the area, let alone bother using reverse thrust! Remember....... this is the FS2002 forum, and there is a million plus items that Looking Glass didn't do in FUIII either!! :)L.Adamson

Larry,This wasn't a "my sim is better than yours" message. It just seemed strange that such an important aspect of airliner dynamics could fail to be implemented properly. However, Lizardo makes a good point about this not being implemented in some airliners. I will have to look into this.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Lizardo,I was testing one of David Maltby's Bac 1-11-500's. Do you know if this has reverse thrust enabled ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png