Sign in to follow this  

Hands-free panning with free download.

Cam2Pan version 1.0.2 was released on November 28, 2002 at www.cam2pan.com. A fully functional trial version is downloadable free of charge. Cam2Pan software translates user's head motion into panning (for MSFS-2002 also download: Active Camera Pro 1.3. from http://www.anticyclone.be/active.html and then hit F12). The head image comes from a tiny webcam facing the user. Alex CohnRule: each rule has exceptions. Exceptions: none.

Guest JeanLuc_

hi Alex,I don't know why but my computer (winXP) keeps freezing after 2-3 mins of using the Cam2Pan. It requires the "hard reset" to unfreeze.Any hint?

>hi Alex, >>I don't know why but my computer (winXP) keeps freezing >after 2-3 mins of using the Cam2Pan. It requires the "hard >reset" to unfreeze. >>Any hint? This seems to be the first time any of our thousands of users has such a problem. It looks like something specific to your set-up. Please open Task Manager, go to the Processes menu and see how much memory and CPU each of your open applications consumes as you keep playing. Please, let me know. Thanks. Alex CohnRule: each rule has exceptions. Exceptions: none.

Guest JeanLuc_

I admit I wonder why. I'm using a regular logitech webcam, a standard system, and no special tweaking at all. I'll try to check any driver update for the logitech, although I'm quite sure I have the latest. It looks to be a great solution! thank you for the info.

>I admit I wonder why. I'm using a regular logitech webcam, a >standard system, and no special tweaking at all. I'll try to >check any driver update for the logitech, although I'm quite >sure I have the latest. It looks to be a great solution! >thank you for the info. JeanLuc,Here is another likely cause of your problem: Some cameras have two drivers: one for WDM and one for VFW. Cam2Pan uses VFW and some cameras don't install the appropriate files by default. If during the installation your camera asks about VFW support then please say yes to that option. If it doesn't ask then try to go to the directory of your camera (probably Program FilesLogitech....) and copy all the dll's from there into the Cam2Pan directory (probably Program FilesCam2Pan). It might help. But between you and me, Logitech cameras are the worst in our experience, even though they are quite common. Also they are usually way overpriced relative to their performance. That said, your problem is unusual even for Logitech. Alex CohnRule: each rule has exceptions. Exceptions: none.

This looks like possibly one of the most intriuging and great add ins I have ever seen. However-I can't get it figured out yet-any help?I get great mouse curser movement with my head-high do I get view movement? The help file says you need active camera which I have. However, when running fs all I get is a nice mouse arrow moving with my head....Thanks anyone for an answer-I am anxious to try this out!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Aside from using a webcam instead of a separate device, how does Cam2Pan compare to Head Track IR?

>This looks like possibly one of the most intriuging and >great add ins I have ever seen. However-I can't get it >figured out yet-any help? >I get great mouse curser movement with my head-high do I get >view movement? The help file says you need active camera >which I have. However, when running fs all I get is a nice >mouse arrow moving with my head.... >Thanks anyone for an answer-I am anxious to try this out! >>>http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif Geofa,In Active Camera Pro 1.3 you have to switch your view to the "Virtual Cockpit" mode. You can do it either though the menu or by hitting the key. Then hit F12 and the panning will follow your head motion. Hit + whenever you need to center your view. For better performance: consider using "Cap-Mark" described in the Cam2Pan Help file and in the website. Alex Cohn

>Aside from using a webcam instead of a separate device, how >does Cam2Pan compare to Head Track IR? Currently, the two trackers seem to be functionally similar, but different technologicaly and in price. In the future, some pretty amazing features will be added in Cam2Pan. Alex Cohn

You mean like being able to move your head up/down/left/right in addition to panning? :-hah (please?)

He-he!!! I won't tell you what the features will be. Don't provoke me.

This looks very interesting....couple questions...I play alot of FS2002 and the various CFS(1,2,3) games, as well as WWIIOL. (racing games too..but don't see a problem there)When using my Flight Sims or WWIIOL, I'm often running the game at night (specially WWIIOL..and I'm in a WWII CFS Nightfighter Squad) and to better see where my enemy/targets are...I turn off most lighting in the room. (I do run a Soft Light behind the monitor to give me just enough light to see the keyboard)I don't a PC Cam yet....Any thought if it would possible to use this in the conditions I describe?Thanks!

>This looks very interesting....couple questions... >>I play alot of FS2002 and the various CFS(1,2,3) games, as >well as WWIIOL. (racing games too..but don't see a problem >there) >>When using my Flight Sims or WWIIOL, I'm often running the >game at night (specially WWIIOL..and I'm in a WWII CFS >Nightfighter Squad) and to better see where my enemy/targets >are...I turn off most lighting in the room. (I do run a Soft >Light behind the monitor to give me just enough light to see >the keyboard) >>I don't a PC Cam yet.... >>Any thought if it would possible to use this in the >conditions I describe? >>Thanks! JET, If you can see your keyboard, a webcam with a large lens, preferably > 5 mm, combined with "Cap-mark", may well work. In complete darkness people use Cam2Pan with either a LED or a flashlight attached to the head. This works regardless of lighting. See Help for both options. Alex CohnRule: each rule has exceptions. Exceptions: none.