Sign in to follow this  

Passing these tests

I give Kudos to FS2002 and Microsoft for everything in the package.However, I sure wish they would have met an effort on the checkrides. LOL. Is there a site somewhere that gives tips and tricks on passing these things?Sorry to rant guys, but in case you are wondering, here are my dillemas . . so far . . . On the Private pilot checkride, I am never able to pass the steep turn except once, whoich was this morning (after literally hundreds of trys). The kicker that really made me upset is that I did the turn precisely like I did the other hundreds of turn attempts on this thing. She said "good job". I cheered, almost fell out of my seat, and went on to her next instruction. After entering Left Downwind for tacoma Narrows, I proceed . . . and proceed . . . and proceeded . . . . and proceeded . . . to about 15 miles past the airport on the leg. Finally I decided maybe she doesnt prompt for the legs, so I turned, made my approach and landed (beautifully I might add). The problem was that she never said a word, and i just sat there on the runway wondering what I did wrong.So - confident - I go up again. Guess what - she fails my steep turns 5 more times in a row and I had almost all of them precisely as I had the one I did when she passed me. Grrrr.Finally I admitted that I will never see a virtual Private certificate from FS2002 due to this bug and went on. I took my Insturment checkride a while ago -- twice. Each time I get past the missed approach, then do as she tells me . . . proceed directly to the SEA VOR and hold the 340 degree radial. I did . . . . in a holding pattern, on 1 minute timers as Rod taught me in te lesson. I held this pattern for 25 minutes before deciding I was dojng something wrong (heck - the ETA on the test is 20 minutes!)So I tried something different . . . I went STRAIGHT out on the 340 degree radial, no longer turning . just flew straight out. Again silence for a while until I knew I was well out of my training range.So I reset and start a second attempt. This time I make a LEFT turn for my holding pattern and I immediately fail.So here is my question for all my fellow simmers . . . . .Well . . 2 questions . . . . . 1 -- Is there a patch out there to fix this? (sorry, say what you want . I may have messed up the insturment, but that steep turn thing is ridiculous)2 -- Why does the command to make the instructor repeat herself not work? I hit the CTRL + [ and nothing happens. I finally had to resort to turning everything down all the way and fly in silence just to hear her instructions (not realistic or safe to monitor your engines when you cannot hear them).Anyway, if anyone knows of a site that helps in this area, please point me to it. I apparently either need serious help here or my FS2002 is bugged, but it is crazy that I pass all my lessons but the checkrides are so buggy.

First, let me say that, until today, I have never flown the FS 172 (only the real one ;)). Just to see what was up, I went straight to the private checkride, failed the first two steep turns and passed the entire ride on the third try.I believe she looks more at your bank angle than speed or altitude. On the first two I nailed both speed (100kts to keep it easy) and altitude but was probably more than 10^ off my bank at one point. On the last, I made sure to nail the bank and was surprised that she passed me because although I didn't bust the altitude I ended up with the needle on the low side of 90 kts,Try it again and watch your bank angle. You'll do fine. I believe the PTS still prescribes to use 45^ which is between the 30 and 60 cardinal marks so it's not as easy to tell when you're at the perfect attitude.Let me also say that, while somewhat quirky in her tolerances, the FS checkride is very very brief compared to the real McCoy! :( Good luck!

Today I tried the private pilot checkride again, for the first time in many moons (I'd originally tried it once and indeed failed on the steep turn when first getting FS2002).I passed on the first try, didn't even sweat. BTW I use the standard FDEs on all aircraft, so not some version created by someone to make them easier to fly...

Sweet. I'll check that site out.Aye, I agree on the speed and bank issue. Held it tight each time. I am wondering of her dead silence is the bug. She doesnt fail me every time. A lot of the time she just stays quiet. Once I ended up over the ocean waiting for her to say something LOL. As far as I knew - (from the briefing) if you did it wrong she was supposed to prompt you to do it again, and THEN if you dont do it right she faild you. I have never been prompted.I'll look over that site and see if there is something I missed besides the bank, speed and altitude.Appreciate the advice :-)

Guest JZL 1

Thx, Cyborg, for the link to Matthias' site. Now I have a clue as to why Martha flunks everything at the holding pattern on the ATP checkride.If you get a long silence from the examiner it usually means that you didn't do something per spec, e.g., didn't pass a waypoint or achieve a certain speed or altitude. I'm working on the ATP (have the others) and unless you get to 225 KIAS approaching the holding pattern fix, Martha doesn't think you've achieved "normal" speed.