Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrianC

Carenado's new Piper Dakota

Carenado will be releasing a new plane soon.. Piper Dakota.Just thought to let you guys knowcheck the pic below.. and notice the sun glare thingy :DCheersJoe

Guest RiddlePilot

This thing looks just like the Archer and Warrior. Is the difference under the hood or what?

I believe the Archer is a development of the Dakota, so similarities are to be expected.Main differences would indeed be under the hood and in the avionics (plus areas where FS won't let you peek like materials and production methods).

Guest BrianC

The Archer is a 180 HP plane with fixed pitch prop. The Dakota is 235 HP with a constant speed prop. There was also a 200 HP Turbo Dakota. Because of the extra performance, Dakotas tend to have more advanced avionics for instrument flight.

Since I've flown Archers and Arrows, and I now own a Piper Dakota, here's the scoop:The Warrior, Archer, Arrow, and Dakota were evolved from essentially the same airframe and wings. Older aircraft have rectangular ("Hershey Bar") wings, and after about 1980, they have tapered wings: - The Warrior typically has 140 HP, 4-cylinder, with fixed gear.- The Archer has 180 HP (PA-28-181), 4-cylinder, with fixed gear, 52 gallons of fuel. - The Arrow (PA-28-200) has 200 HP, 4-cylinder, fuel-injected, with retractable gear. Some are turbo-charged, and some have a T-tail.- The Dakota (PA-28-236) has 235 HP, 6-cylinder, fixed gear, 77 gallons.The Archer is comparable to a Cessna 172, and the Dakota is comparable to a Cessna 182 - same engine. The speeds of the Arrow and Dakota are similar.Warriors, Archers, and Arrows are still being manufactured. Dakotas were manufactured only in the period from 1979 to 1994 - a total of about 700 were made.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Doug -Very good recap of the Cherokee line. :-) BTW, I'm quite jealous of your bird--the Dakota is THE plane I'd love to own! :9Just to give others an idea of how much Piper has used the Cherokee fuselage and wings, here are all of the planes from the Cherokee line. Other than small changes to the fuselage (extra windows, stretched, etc.) and the changeover to the "Warrior" wing, that design has had incredible longevity.PA-28 140 B,C,D,EPA-28 140 Cherokee (low gross)PA-28 140 Cherokee CruiserPA-28 140-4 Cherokee (high gross)PA-28 150 B 150 CherokeePA-28 160 B 160 CherokeePA-28 180 Challenger & ArcherPA-28 B 180 CherokeePA-28 C 150 CherokeePA-28 C 160 CherokeePA-28 C 180 CherokeePA-28 D 180 E,FPA-28 D 180 GPA-28-151 WarriorPA-28-161 Warrior IIPA-28-180 R & RB ArrowPA-28-181 Archer IIPA-28-200 R & RB ArrowPA-28-200R Arrow II (1973-'76)PA-28-201T Turbo DakotaPA-28-235 B CherokeePA-28-235 C & D, E & FPA-28-235 ChargerPA-28-235 PathfinderPA-28-236 DakotaPA-28R-,RT,-201T Turbo Arrow III,IVRegards,http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsnyder99/sigs/dakota.jpg

Guest Richard_H

This subject is close to my heart. I am looking to move up complexity in the real world, and there is a Dakota syndicate at my local airfield. Also looking for a SEL, which can sensibly shift 4 grown adults and baggage for a holiday on full tanks. Can the Dakota do that?Definitely in the queue for that Carenado package.Richard

Guest Jeff S KDTW

>This subject is close to my heart. I am looking to move up >complexity in the real world, and there is a Dakota >syndicate at my local airfield.As far as complexity, the Dakota is defined as a "High Performance" aircraft in the US, due to the fact it has over 200hp (235 to be exact). This differs from "Complex", which means retractable gear. However, I presume you already know that. :-)>Also looking for a SEL, >which can sensibly shift 4 grown adults and baggage for a >holiday on full tanks. Can the Dakota do that? The Dakota and it's older sibling the 235 are some of the ONLY four seaters that are "true" four seaters--meaning they can pretty much carry anything you can shove in them with full fuel (four 200lb adults, luggage, full fuel (max 84), AND over 100 lbs of luggage) :-eek. More particularly, depending on specific avionics set-ups and addons, the useful load of the 235 is about 1408-1465 and the 236 is about 1392. Many of the earlier 235's had useful loads actually greater than their own weight (useful load 1465, zero fuel weight 1435, max gross 2900).Regards,http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsnyder99/sigs/dakota.jpg

Guest Richard_H

But complex also refers to Constant Speed Props too doesn't it? Makes it semi complex :) perhaps.Thanks for the weight info. Sounds a totally different ball game to the Warrior.