Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

X-Plane vs FS2002

Guest gooper

Hi all I am intersted in the opinions of users of both X-plane and Fs2002. I read the review of X-plane and it does sound interesting especially the flight dynamics part which to me is the most important feature of a flight sim program but i just want to know what is it that makes the X-plane flight dynamics engine so realistic - what does it do/have that Fs2002 does not? I fly the PIC 767 and Dreamfleet 737 almost exclusively and while i have no real world flighttime on either aircraft the flight dynamics of both seem pretty good from my own experience and from what real world pilots have said about them so I am curious about the real merits of X-plane.

I dont really have much to say except that X-plane is sorely lacking in the panels area, but it is much much much more atmospheric and the flight modeling is loads better. FS2002 is much easier, simpler to use and its got better panels, planes, etc. But I fly x-plane when i wanna fly by hand, etc.

The panels and instruments in Xplane just simply blow away anything FS2k2 has to offer. FS2k2 panels are awful when compared to those in Xplane. As far as flight models go, neither sim has an advantage. Some are better in Xplane and some are better in FS2k2. Just all depends on who configures them. Other than the above, FS2k2 blows Xplane away is all other areas. Expecially in the terrain graphics. Xplane is really, really, really bad in the terrain department. If you want an overall good flight simming experience and were looking on the store shelf at Xplane or FS2k2, you'd likely be much happier with FS2k2. If you want really good panels and instruments and don't really care about terrain graphics or airplane detail, get Xplane. If you want really good flight models, flip a coin.

>The panels and instruments in Xplane just simply blow away >anything FS2k2 has to offer. I would really like to see some best panels X-plane has to offer. So far I haven't see anything that would impress me but maybe I am missing something ... Remember everyone - when we are comparing panels/flight models we don't compare what's in the box - rather the best what is available for this product including all the add-ons. Michael J.[link:jdtllc.com]http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Sorry but no way these panels are as good as what is available for FS2002.And I have X-Plane 6.4, these panels look a lot better than they actually function. And on looks alone they definitely do not beat FS2002's panels.FS2002 is better than X-Plane when it comes Panels, Plane exteriors, and scenery.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Thanks.But with this "blowing away" I have bit of a problem. Granted the instruments (glass cockpit) seems very good primary because of the anti-aliased stuff but the rest of the graphics is barely OK - I would say a step-down from the the just released DC9. And if you take something like Flight1's Meridian project (granted, it is not yet finished) then I am afraid the blowing away .. blows in the opposite direction. Michael J.

:-lol :-lol :-lolAhem, err, sorry. Well, I will fully concede that the panels in X-Plane blow the DOORS off of any panel from FS4 hands down! :-lol :-lolTake a look at the 737-NG panel that you linked to and then compare that to what is coming down the pike from PMDG and what already exists from PIC, PSS, Dreamfleet, et al. There is unequivocally absolutely no comparison at all. It is like comparing FS4 to FS2002. Even the "custom" X-Plane panels are only a little better than the default panels in FS2002. You will be hard pressed to find a high quality FS2002 panel with the throttles and radios imbedded in the face of the instrument panel any more. Sorry but this is FS5 vintage IMHO.FS2002 panels are now able to achive FLY! panel quality in terms of scale and beauty and has already surpassed the high-water-mark that FLY! set in accuracy of aircraft systems (read FMC, EFIS systems etc.)But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. :-)Regards,Mike T.

Absolutely not. Grabbing a copy of Fly! would be FAR, FAR, FAR more desirable that the panels in X-Plane if I needed a panel only sim. The panels in X-Plane are extremely inaccurate, development of custom gauges is next to nil, the EFIS instruments do NOT mimic their real world counterparts. Where are the overheads, flight engineer stations and consoles???IMHO the ONLY thing that X-Plane does well is mimic real world fluid dynamics and aeronautical object interaction with meterological phenomena. BUT...then again, the last time I downloaded a demo of X-Plane (about 6 months ago), I flew the 767 at 500kts at 10000 feet, deployed full flaps and spoilers and the aircraft simply pitched its nose nearly vertically and continued flying along at 350 kts. Now, it does not take an Aeronautical Engineer to know that this scenario can in NO WAY be accurate. Even the much belittled flight dynamic capabilities of FS2002 would have done a better job of in that instance. :-)Mike T. :-beerchug

Sorry; I disagree. And I'm not comparing payware with freeware. I'm not comparing stock panels with stock panels, but rather third party panels. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I don't have the pic panel because I've seen numerous pictures of it and from what I've seen, I don't want it. It's not very impressive in the pictures. The payware Airbus panel looks excellent, but again; it's payware. Many Xplane third party panels simply blow away any freeware panels I've seen in FS2k2. And I checked out most of the FS2k2 freeware panels. It very hard to find an FS2k2 panel with a nice clean bmp and I much prefer the instruments in Xplane. They're top notch. Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste. I think I said above that FS2k2 wins hands down when it comes to aircraft detail and terrain and they're about equal in flight model on average. IMHO the biggest fault in FS2k2 is the loosy panels. Not to say, that there aren't some pretty good ones. Just not the same quality as the Xplane third party panels. Not even close.Which sim to I fly the most. FS2k2, of course!! Xplane comes in second.

Ahhhh, yes, I misunderstood. If you are comparing stock to stock then I would agree that X-Plane panels are prettier. They do not function any better or offer any more "realism" they are prettier. So I agree with you there.As far as your comments on the PIC panel... :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol, I'm not EVEN going to go there but I thank you for the chuckle, err, you WERE just kidding right? My question to you is, do you actually OWN a Dreamfleet or PSS 747 panel or are you flying freeware heavy panels still?Regards,Mike T.

No, I don't Mike; so it's kinda hard to form an opinion on those payware panels. I'm comparing third party freeware with third party freeware. Not stock panels with stock panels. And I'm comparing them on average and not judging any particular panels. There's always exceptions. There are some outstanding freeware panels in FS2k2 too. But, overall; I much prefer the Xplane third party panels and some of the stock panels and the Xplane instruments over what FS2k2 has to offer for third party freeware. But again, it's a matter of taste.Let me clarify my stand on flight models. Overall, I see them as both good and equal. But, xplane wins in someways. It models mach+ speed well. Take the firefox and fly to mach 5.5 in xplane and it's a real hoot. Fly to the edge of the atmosphere in xplane and back again. Can't do either in FS2k2 accurately. You can in Xplane. There both well worth owning as I do. But, as I said; I fly FS2k2 most all of the time. When I wanta go mach 5.5, I fire up Xplane. When I want to be really impressed with a panel, I'll fire up Xplane. When I want a good VFR flight, I fire up FS2k2.

Well, what I had once considered buying X-Plane for was the ability to fly back from space in the Space Shuttle, if that's possible. Have you tried this? Is it possible? Can X-Plane simulate a shuttle launch and re-entry procedure? Mike T.

>No, I don't Mike; so it's kinda hard to form an opinion on those >payware panels. I'm comparing third party freeware with third party >freewareCompare what the screenshots you linked to (which basically represent the best panel quality you will see in X-Plane) with the best freeware FS2002 panels.Its not even close FS2002 freeware 3rd party panels win easily.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg