Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

New St-St-St-Stuttering with FS2002

I have just recently begun to experience the stuttering I have for so long read about in these forums but never had the misfortune to experience. I run FS 2K2 with a PIII 1 GHz, 640 MB SDRAM, GeForce II MX400 64MB video card system. My FS2K2 settings are conservative and have never been a problem until now, with everything about half way up except for special effects. Frames per second remain good at 25-30, its just that now the graphics and the sound stutter briefly, simultaneously for a second or two, causing the usual frustrations at rotation and landing. ATC even stutters, like a repeating echo. Specifically, the problem seems to occur near major airports, usually not while in flight at cruise. I have been swapping out AI aircraft recently, though I have not added any new flight plans. The AI aircraft are small texture files from FS Painter, just one or two bitmap files per texture folder, no panel files, and using the 737-400 default sound alias. The files are all smaller than the ones they replaced in the TTools aircraft folder.I've been reading with interest the threads regarding the stuttering some people were getting in FS 2K2 related to their ethernet cards. My computer is perpetually hooked up to the internet via 256 kb/sec DSL, and the modem is connected to the PC by USB. One user solved his stuttering by adjusting the connection settings of his ethernet card, though I don't believe this is possible with the USB modem, which I've had for over a year, never with any problems running FS 2K2, Vatsim, Squawkbox, etc.I've checked for rogue software using AD-AWARE, defragged and removed all recently downloaded files and software, including a PFC throttle quadrant I cannot for the life of me seem to get running, and a bogus Google tray applet for INternet Explorer that convinced my system to start windows TWICE when booting up. That's gone and good riddens. If you have any ideas, please pass them along, I will be very gratefulRegards from Minnesota,Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

backup up you Fs2002.cfg file so you have a copy.Delete the original one and start up Fs2002 again and redo your settings and see if anything happens.Some people say that if you do that then sometimes the game has a new lease of life.If nothing happens at least you have your old one to go back to with your old settings on.Craig Kiltie

Thanks Craig, I'll try that.Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

N562Z:I have repeatedly experienced the stuttering problem after defrag, and found that the sound acceleration slider found on the sound tab in DxDiag was being reset from basic to full acceleration.After returning the slider to basic acceleration, the stutters stopped.Hope this helps. Rick

Have you defragmented your hard drive lately? That can cause a serious performance decrease. Especially if you have recently moved a large number of files.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Good suggestions, thanks all. All give it a try.Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com