Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

VORTAC and VOR/DME Readings

I noticed in FS2K2 that DME readouts on DME instruments coupled to NAV receivers occur from both VORTAC and VOR/DME type navaids. My low altitude IFR charts do show waypoints defined by DME for both types.So, can I assume DME can really be read from both types (DME being noted by the rectangle around the VOR rtiangle and TAC being denoted by the bold points of the triangle?

Guest crashing_pilot

"details...details":-hmmm:-hmmm:-sun1:(:-hmmm:-hmmmwell....uhm.....you

Guest Smiley

Hi Ronzie,I'm not sure what you are asking but here goes :)Your Radios will read whatever information is being broadcast by the radio navigation aids they are tuned to. If the beacon is a VOR/DME, VORTAC or NDB/DME does not matter. I'm not an IFR pilot so I'm sure others will add to this to be more precise for IFR flying. In VFR flying you would tune the closest VORTAC or VOR/DME to your destination and use the others to triangulate your position. Switching the DME (if only one) to get a relative position. These navaids are used in combination with geographic reference points. Pilotage, Dead Reckoning and navaids combine to give you the safest and most accurate flight course.In MSFS2002 I don't fly the big ac and rarely use the navaids to get where I fly to and from unless I'm practicing the IFR lessons. I will assume the Navaid you tune first if it has a DME broadcast will automatically tune your DME for you. If not you can do that separately.I hope this helps !

VFR and IFR Route Maps use different symbols for VOR/DME and VORTAC transmitters. IFR rout maps at times show DME distance symbols to both.FS2K2 DME gauges read DME from both types. Is this realistic or not.If so, I can then conclude that DME can be read from TACAN (VORTAC) as well and not require the DME symbolic rectangle around the VOR symbol. See map legends.I am familiar with triangulation of radials, etc., but my question is only about source navaids for DME.

Thanks. It looks like the TACAN distance portion of the TACAN services is common.