Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

AntiAliasing Question/Help

This isn't a new problem for me but I finally thought I'd seek some wisdom form the good folks in this forum.Sometimes the AntiAliasing will work beautifully in FS2002 and other times the wings of the planes and pretty much everything else for that matter, look like a ripsaw! There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. When things look good sometimes all I have to do is bring up a menu and its gone again. I've tried several different drivers from 6.xx to 40.xx, (I have standby problems with any on the 30.xx and above drivers). Some work better than others. Some of the drivers I can switch from windowed mode to full-screen to fix it, sometimes, with others this does not work. Occasionally turning AntiAliasing off then on again in FS2002 will make it work again. Sometimes no matter what I do AntiAliasing will either be on, off, good or bad.I've tried tweaking the daylights out of things with RivaTunner and Geforce Tweak Utility, (tips found in this forum).My system:P3 - 800MHZGeforce GTS2 32MBW98SE384MB RAMWeak for FS2002 I know!Thanks for any help anyone may have.Pepe

The same problem I have too. Its a problem with the GTS2 card. When I installed dx9.0 everything was fantastic, I changed drivers back to hacksaw...rolled back the drivers but hacksaws remained!!Santanu

Guest PaulL01

Pepe,The problem can be atributed to the "small" amount of video memory and T&L support on the card, as with the 32mb GTS For each FSAA mode there is a maximum resolution in which FSAA will work or it will revert or rollback to a simpler mode. Below is a fairly accurate table of available resolution Direct3D Mode Maximum resolution 4x4, 640x480 3x3, 800x600 2x2, 1024x768x16 1x2, 1280x1024x16 If you want to use FSAA you will have to sacrifice the 32-bit color. There's no getting away from this since the 32MB of the video memory is the problem.Hope this helps.

Thanks Paul, I figured it to be mainly a problem with my humble hardware.Sure wish I knew why it works sometimes and not others but, then there are many things about these strange machines I don't understand! Much like women I guess, I don't understand them very well either! ;)Ducking for cover now, thanks again.Pepe

Guest PaulL01

Heh heh, I wont go there! :-lol>Sure wish I knew why it works sometimes and not others but, It may work at times but then as soon as the frame buffer is near full it will kick down to the next lowest level which at 32mb probably is means no AA , all depends on your resolution and color depth, the higher you go the more memory you need etc...you might want to try running at 600x800 x 16 bit color and with 4xAA and compare that to your higher non AA image and pick what >you< like.Take care.