Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

DX 9 test

Picked up the DirectX 9 beta release and tried it out. I did not have to much of a concern as the beta sites were giving good reviews on the upgrade.My own look at it with FS2K2. I was running at about 14-17 fps. With the DX9 upgrade, 30 - 75 fps, depending on what plane I am using. Both of these fps are with everything maxed out. I have been very happy with the 14 - 17 fps but there is a difference in FS2K2 performance with DX9.Is there a difference? Oh ya, and it is very noticable. And yes, the graphics look better also. The one thing I have learned about FS2K2. Live with what you have and don't screw with settings such as, overclocking etc. If an upgrade to software etc is available only use it after you read the documentation to see if your system will actually handle it.My setup;DELL Dimension 8200Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.90 GHz1.89 GHz256 MB of RAMNVIDIA GeForce Ti500 http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifFS2K2 = The best add-on for RADAR CONTACT ver.3http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

Hi DanI must say WOWWW!! I am impressed with the results you have posted.However; I am concerned. I regularly browse this forum and from what I have read the Direct X ver 9 has been out for a few weeks now. Eventhough there were numerous warnings to be careful installing this beta version, I am sure many many simmers have installed and tested FS2K2, yet I have not seen any results coming close to the FPS rates you report. Your system is comparable to mine and if we all can achieve those results I don't know why it's not being shouted from the rooftops!!I guess what I am trying to say--- we are always taught from an early age--"if it sounds too good to be true..... it probably isn't "Maybe I will take the leap into beta land.....or maybe not, what to do ???? what to do??? hmmmmmmmmmm

I fully understand your points of view. I was really nervous about trying it at this time until I checked out a couple of reputable beta test sites. The one thing I learned in FS2K is leave the damn computer alone. I was into the change this, tweak that, way of simming. All I ever found was that it was Ok for a time and then things seemed to be right back where I started, or worse. With my new system and FS2K2 I took the vow of "NO TOUCH STUPID". Seems to be the trick. The other thing I found is that XP seems to be the big thing that has saved me alot. It won't let me screw things up. When I do it stops, makes me wait while it repairs my mistakes, and then carries on. I have had my new computer with XP factory loaded for about 1 year now and it is just awsome. I have yet to see a "blue screen of death" since I got it.M$ new slogan should be;WINDOWS XP & DirectX 9. We finally got it right. :-lolhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifFS2K2 = The best add-on for RADAR CONTACT ver.3http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

You and I have a lot in common. Your sig line is too cool-- I feel the same way about RCV3 as you... I just hope they can get something done with the robotic sounding controller wavs in future versions. Once you get use to the MS ATC voices (so smooth), it makes such a huge difference.I guess as long as I am careful, I will take the plunge to DX9 and pray for half the improvement you are seeing. The only thing that pulls my FPS down is large numbers of AI... but geeeeze that's when it's the most fun to be sitting in the left seat (taxi thru KATL during rush hour)..I'm lucky to crank out FPS of 2!!!!!:-lol Thanks for the report, DanSee ya

Guest Howard

I have to agree. It probably not significant but just run dxdiag 2d test with dx8.1b then again with dx9. The box bounces about three times faster.The picture quality is very good. No problems (yet).Howard

Guest Andy_YXU

where can I get the DX9 from I run windowsXP is it Ok for me too?thanks

What's odd about the improvement is I usually get around 14-15 fps on a P3/800 with settings maxed, with DX 8.1x.... I'd expect faster fps with a P4 1.9 than what you were getting prior to the upgrade. Can you let me know what scenario you took your before/after observations from? I'd like to see if I get lower fps under that scenario than where I run my comparisons now, which is Meigs default.There was a setting in DX that I changed months back, that improved FS performance big time. It had to do with a "sound debug" option (not sound acceleration) which was turned on by default. Turning it off improved everything, and even had an impact on dynamic blurries. Rarely do my textures drop more than one notch below best quality.I wonder if this setting is off by default in DX-9....What is really promising about your post is your graphics card--closer in age to mine (GeF 2/Ti) than the GeF 4's floating around.-John

Guest ha5mvo

yes juhn, i remember tweaking this way improved things a great deal, there was a small file one could download and use to tune these options, however I lost the link, does anyone have it?thanksMik

From an original tip by "Meatwater":MS left a big Bug in DirectX. They left the DirectSound Debugging enabled, which is fine for testing by MS, but its not meant for the normal User. It eats up CPU Performance and may also affect Frame Rates and Sound Stutters.To get rid of it pls. do the following. Download this firsthttp://www.gamevoiceclub.com/Download/dxapplet.zip Unzip it to your WindowsSystem Folder.Go into this Folder and find the file directx.cplDouble Click it. Open the directsound Tab. There's a Slider "Debug Output Level"Move it to the very left. This disables the Sound debugging.For me i got rid of sound stuttering with my Soundblaster in CFS2 and it should get a noticeable improvement in other DirectX games as well.It also offers a LOT of special functions, just look at the many tabs but be careful what you change.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Geofa: It's been reported that the rollback doesn't always work, so to be on the safe side I wouldn't install it.Dan: You sure, 30-75 fps? Sounds too good to be true.

Guest jase439

Well, I'm not seeing 75 fps :) Even on my "meager" 2.4 Ghz box. Those results seem dubious to me.I can tell you that my 3DMark scores dropped a statistically negligible 50 points with DX9. FS performance does appear to improve, however, with DX9. There does seem to be an increase in the general fluidity of the sim. I won't bother quoting frame rates - as that is meaningless without a full rundown on my specific hardware and FS setup. I am observing between a 15 and 20% increase in performance overall...especially in places where T&L is a factor.J

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Well I'll wait for the final. ;-)

Guest odog

Hey guys,Im not a framerate watcher, Im not impressed by frames in excess of 50fps. All I ask of FS is to run with nearly maxed settings and haul in a FR lock of 25...all the time.I created a restore point and loaded up DX9. After the restart I did my dxDiag tests. No problems...that box really flys around like 20 times faster than 8.1.First flight Default Cessna at Meigs field. First impression was, nothings changed. I made some tweaks to my sliders and with a Dense/Very Dense/Very Dense...scenery setting. My frames are locked solid at 23 now.I also notice how nice the red cessna looks, a big improvement on my rig. I take off and take a spin around the skyline of Chicago. Before I could watch the Frames drop to 15 while panning around the outside of the plane...but now with the skyline fully visible from spot view, the FR's dont budge.Im very happy with the results, It seems to be able to keep up better than the old DX.Just my $0.02 It was worth it. Your mileage may vary.odog