Sign in to follow this  

To file library moderators!!!

Let me make a question to AVSIM library moderators: Why do you guys think that the names of ALL the people, who have worked with the project, are always written in the file descriptions? Could it be that ALL those names are meant to be shown with the file in the description??? Hmmm, could it be like that?I'm getting a bit angry about this issue. It seems to happen almost every time I upload something. If I make the visual model, and have someone else to make the panel and flight dynamics for example, only my name is mentioned with the file. EVEN IF I have written all the names in the file description. Every person that has been mentioned in the description has a significant part of the project and I just hate it if someone leaves without mention. I have had to e-mail the "LibMan" to add the other authors in the descriptions too many times. After the e-mail the names have always been added, however...So, what I hope is that I wouldn't have to do it anymore. If I have written for example four names in the descriptions, I WANT ALL THE NAMES TO BE MENTIONED WITH THE FILE!!! It's not fair to leave a panel artist for example without a mention...Comments please!

Mikko, did you also upload a separate text file (along with your image file and the zip file) that gave all that information?

Yeah, every time, just like it is told to do in the file library rules. And the separate text file ALWAYS includes all the authors names. Since I always first upload to flightsim.com and use the same fileid.diz file when I upload to your file library. And yes, I rename the fileid.diz into *file*.txt. All the names always appear into flightsim.com but not into avsim so the only way is that the library moderators are either lazy or then they don't know their job. No offence...Last time this has happened is today. I can't see my name with the Fouga that appeared in the file library today. Looks like the libman has removed this text from the description: "Designed by Kari Virtanen and Mikko Maliniemi." and my name is not even mentioned as author, nor are Mike Hambly or Brahim Rhoul. All four of us are the authors of this file and I think it is important to make it clear. Brahim and Mike were mentioned in the description itself though, but Kari's and my name were removed by someone... Kari e-mailed about it to libman@avsim.com hours ago but it still haven't been corrected...I wish the library moderators would pay more attention to the authors. Like I said, everyone who has taken part to the project, needs to be mentioned as everyone has been important part of the project...Thanks,

Mikko, I understand. But, we are "freeware" too. Like you, we don't do this for a living, just the joy of doing it. We are not full time, and it doesn't surprise me that you have not yet gotten a response from libman. They do have real life jobs. Anyway, I will see what I can do to speed things up and correct the situation.

Of course I understand that and I really appreciate the work you all put in this website. And that is no problem that libman haven't replied, since I know they will when they have time. The problem is that this really isn't the only time this "forget to mention authors"-thing have happened. Too many of the files I have uploaded and which have more authors than just one, has ran into the same thing, someone is missing. And actually you can't put the blame on the time issue since if you think about it, selecting and removing some names in between the words must take more time than just copying the whole text and pasteing it as is. Am I right or what?

Mikko,Lets set the record straight! First off I have copied below, the file description that was uploaded seperately as per our policy:Title: Fouga CM170 Magister Finnish Air ForceFull Name of Author(s): Kari VirtanenSimulator & Version: FS2002Suggested Library Category: FS2002 AircraftE-mail address of Author(s): kari.virtanen@dlc.fiDescription of Content:This Gmax design features four paintjobs; three panels; opening canopy; dynamic virtual cockpit; fully animated control surfaces; rolling retractive landing gears; reflective textures; crash effects. Sounds by Mike Hambly. Panels by Brahim Rhoul. Designed by Kari Virtanen and Mikko Maliniemi.Based on this information we posted the file as per the information that was provided us. There was a README file in the 24 meg zip archive which was completely different from this information that listed 7 names of different Authors. We do not have enough room in the text box to list these many names, nor do we choose to download a 24meg file in order to extract information that we have already been provided with. Maybe 4 authors names at the most is permissible. If you wanted more names listed under "Authors" then the names should have been added to that proper line in the first place of which they were not. Hopefully this explains our position on this subject. We understand the importance of crediting all or as many authors as possible, but please just supply the proper and easy to understand information where and when requested and we will be happy to accomadate your needs.Regards,Rick RossnerSr. Library ManagerAVSIM Onlinerick@avsim.com

I have done this text file, and problem was that original says:Description of Content:This Gmax design features four paintjobs; three panels; opening canopy; dynamic virtual cockpit; fully animated control surfaces; rolling retractive landing gears; reflective textures; crash effects. Sounds by Mike Hambly. Panels by Brahim Rhoul. Designed by Kari Virtanen and Mikko Maliniemi.And then File Library:File Description:This Gmax design features four paintjobs; three panels; opening canopy; dynamic virtual cockpit; fully animated control surfaces; rolling retractive landing gears; reflective textures; crash effects. Sounds by Mike Hambly. Panels by Brahim Rhoul.I am really sorry about mess that is partly my fault, and I promise to take more attention in future for uploading information.

Roger that. And thanks for the reply. I guess it was a lack in Kari's documents this time then...I understand the facts that there is no room for endless amount of names, but I believe there would have been space for my name as well. I believe my name was mentioned pretty clearly in the "designed by Kari Virtanen and Mikko Maliniemi"-part. You can't deny that. I don't say that it is the most important thing that my name is mentioned, but like I said earlier, this wasn't the first time. Oh well, it was first time that my name was left away but I have had to have some of my co-operators names added via e-mail when they were first left away...But I think I have made my point clear enough already so I guess we can end this conversation now unless you have something more to say.ps. Once again thanks for putting your work and energy in this website. Without guys like you we designers probably wouldn't excist in the way we now do...