Sign in to follow this  

VFR Photographic Scenery

You are really missing something if you have gotthe East & Sth East England VFR Scenery. It's a significantstep forward!Easy ordering. Emails answered.Simple install. Works well.Fast delivery to Australia.Reasonable price.If you go without your usual 29 moccas for a week, your eighteggs & black puddings for breakfast, your 4 beef burgersfor lunch, you can easily afford it!Peter Sydney Australia P4 1.7 Geoforce2 64mg 512 Rambus Dram XP Home PSS 747

Yep, I have to agree with you. I can see my house! Which is pretty much something everyone wants to do when they first go flying - and now we can simulate it.

Guest Squitters

Hi Peter.Yep, hit it on the nail bro!Squit :D

Guest emergency_pants

I keep telling myself (and saying on the forum) that it's just too much flippin' money! It's in several parts at about

I suspect that most of the cost comes from GetMapping who provided the photos. Imagine the cost of photographing every square mile of an entire country! They aren't going to sell anything cheaply after that kind of investment of time and money.

Guest JonP01

What is the performance penalty like? Surely there must be massive texture loading / unloading, as hardly any of the individual texture tiles (if any) could be used more than once. I'm thinking you would need lots of very fast RAM to get an enjoyable experience out of this.

Guest Milio_B

It looks great, and as I heard works well too. It doesn't use AutoGen so it must have a good performance.Still, i really do belive this one is slightly overpirced.Just like Ariane 737. Except both companies are totally different.

Guest JonP01

One thing I don't quite understand. What happens to an existing (default) FS2002 aerodrome. As I understand it, the real airports (photographed) appear on the scenery, don't they? So don't the default FS2002 overlay them, or are the real airports somehow edited out of the final product (except where they never existed in FS2002 to start with)?

PerformanceI haven't seen a hit in performance in terms of FPS. The only slowdown you see is when you first start a flight or choose 'go to airport...' it does take a bit longer to load the textures. Once in flight though - no real difference. Perhaps the 'cost' of many unique textures is cancelled out by having no autogen scenery.AirportsThe default airports are overlayed. For the most part it looks pretty good, but there are one or two where MS haven't quite got their taxiways spot on - where you get some unusual taxiways anyway. I think that most add-on airports will look much better than the default airports in this context.The big bonus is that all the missing and disused airports are represented. If you know where to look you can find some of those long disused WWII bases.I'd say that if you live in Britain, fly in Britain, or just want to see the future of Flight Simming one of these scenery areas is an essential purchase. Of course, if you get one it won't be enough! It fulfils one of the basic joys of flying: "Look! I can see my house from here!"Here's my system spec (I get around 20-25 FPS without stuttering, most sliders towards the high end of the scale):Athlon 1GHzKT7A 384MGeForce2 Ti7200 rpm Barracuda HDEr, can't think of anything else significant...

Guest JonP01

Thanks Steve. I think I might get it more out of curiosity - to see the future, as you put it. I too believe it is the future of flight simming. I've actually asked the developers if they are doing any other countries, but I'm not even sure the data exists.

I find very strange - you like to spend all those money for and addon.You can simply go to the getmapping site - download photos - get the scenery sdk - and compile areas you like - it took me less of 1 hours to do the whole of the isle of wight! Ray

i think you could say that for any add on. e.g. why by the pss airbus when you could just program it yourself? time. :)

There is no programming whatsoever in this scenery.Is just a matter to stick photo toghether - via coordinates - and compile with the sdk - if you do not have practice - you can learn it in a matter of 1 week -!