Sign in to follow this  
Datalink

**REAL MAYDAY CALL 5 mins ago..**

I'm listening to my Airband radio while doing Nav flight revision, and a MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY call got my attention on the Shoreham frequency. A small a/c (possibly a cessna) over head Beachy Head had an engine failure and has been forced to land on top of beachy head!This happend 5 mins ago, time now, 2:27pm GMT.I hope the pilot landed ok.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

OH MY GOD!! WAS THAT YOU SPEAKING ON THE RADIO??!!??Lucky pilot. I just hope that i don't ever encounter anything like that - that's why NAVIGATION, doing calculations and using your eyes properly during flight are a MUST to hopefully avert such a situation occuring.First thoughts, it could have been down to either faulty fuel gauges or calculations that were either not done enough or not checked enough during flight.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

What's quite funny is that the pilot says he expects to fly his bird back to Shoreham once its been refueled - maybe he managed to get her down next to a petrol station.Yep - t'was me. So thanks for the tip-off - we managed to beat the Press Association to the story - consider yourself a BBC stringer!Obviously, we'd never have a scanner in the office, but it's a thought!Robhttp://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg

WOW, i'm famous now :-lolI didn't realise that i was the 1st one to break the story :)The hassel of bringing the aviation fuel from shoreham to that field would be a task in itself. The plane has to be back @ shoreham b4 closing hours, which will be a challenging task, and i guess it's that pilot who has to fly it back hehe. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

Guest Panman

Actually Rob take that smirk off of your face.The CAA stipulates in Airworthiness Notices 98, 98A, 98B, 98C that certain aircraft can use MOGAS (in simple terms what you get at your local petrol station) though certain checks have to be carried out before and after and certain restrictions apply (can't use LRP for instance).PanmaN

Are auto-gas retro-fits popular in the UK? I know there are plenty small aircraft in the US with that kind of modification...Phil Geddes

Wow, am I behind in the news. I didn't even hear about this until I read this post. Not even my folks told me about it. Got home last night, had diner and went to bed without watching the news or reading he papers or the net this morning.P.S. I should add for those that don't know, I'm just down the road from Shoreham :-)

Alaister Kay

Guest emergency_pants

Wow.. there are quite a few people around the Shoreham area! I don't live there anymore, but I lived in Hove for 18 years. I used to like going to the airport there and I still do if I'm visiting my parents... they live not so far away, in Sompting.Will, did you manage to find yourself a striking set of Shoreham scenery for FS2002? I remember you searching some time ago. I always planned to build one myself, but I just never, ever had the time, what with work, simming and decorating... can't quite sqeeze it in, somehow.Good story about the poor pilot on Beachy Head! A drop or two of fuel, quick drop over the edge and he'd be airborne in no time ;)Cheers,Simon.

I was about to ask if this was something in the Miami area. Not the case. But I ask because Helicopters and Fire trucks are still on the doral area and someone in a Walgreens store told me it was a plane crash. But, again.. it was something someone told me in a store. So it's not confirmed.

Hi allThe Miami incident is a totally different bit of news - i hope that pilot didn't crash into the bank on purpose!In relation to the shoreham scenery, i haven't found any scenery for it except Gary Summons which we all know about. I can tell you that Gary will be blending the airport with the VFR scenery though. It's a pitty that no one seems interested in designing it :(OH, and regarding this a/c landing on top of Beachy head, it turned out he was doing aerobatics and he ran out of fuel (he might have been too involved enjoying himself and not to notice the situation with his fuel!)P.S. Looking outside, I think it's gona snow, it's MEGA DARK.Regardshttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

Guest Panman

Small aircraft crashed into a federal building in Miami. There is a thread over in PPRuNe about it.