Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

FS2002 and a Compaq

Does anyone run FS2002 on a Compaq computer system and if so how does it perform? I am looking to buy a new system and was thinking about a Compaq as long as FS performs well. Thanks. :-)

I have a year-old Compaq which runs FS2002 great (locked at 20fps with Archer II, Seneca V, etc, and most sliders maxed)-- it is an AMD XP1800+, 512Ram, Win XP and I have upgraded the video card to a GeForce4 Ti4200 (Mine came with a GeForce2 MX400). My first experience with Compaq, but got a good deal through Costco--bought another for my daughter for college and have had no problems at all. Most mass market computers short change the video card, however, so I would look closely at that and upgrade to a GeForce4 card if required. HTH, Steve J.

Steve is correct about short changing. All the commercial vendors provide good and bad units depending on price. Beware of really good deals, use their websites to investigate what is built onto the MOBO. Stay away from on-board graphics, sound, modems, NICs, especially graphics adapters.Stay away from GeForce cards with MX in their name.Try to get a computer case with plenty of fans and a minimum 350w power supply.

Guest GabrielR

hi. I have a compaq 7000 bought more than one year ago:Athlon 1.3SDR RAM 512 MB (bought with 128MB)GForce 2 MX 64 MBSound BlasterWin ME (Now with XP)As you can see I have upgraded my machine and my OS. after one year, and having the machine repaired 3 times in COMPAQ (one month each) I have to tell you that there would be a lot of better brands out there.now due to the limitations of the capability to upgrade this machine, I've already started to think to buy a new one for FS2004 next year. Taking into consideration the average price of a good machine today, I realized that it would be cheaper for me simply to build my own machine, so I started to research all around six months ago, and there is plenty of information about it, plus you get the convenience of easy upgrades and you get to know your own machine and what it has inside. however I must say, also, that I have never had any incompatibility problem with any piece of software or hardware I have installed.Hope this help