Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

Oleksiy's Dash 8 and Working WX Radar!!

Hello all,For those of you still sitting on the fence about downloading and learning how to use Oleksiy's Dash 8, I encourage you to do it! The flight dynamics, sound package (wait until you hit the throttle and here the deep sound of those turboprobs and engines kick in -- it's exactly like you experience in real life), avionics, etc are first-rate! I fly in the real Dash 8 frequently, and I can assure you this sim is one of the best (if not THE best) of any download I have ever used. I just had one of the most memorable flights of my long-time simming career with this plane last evening. Here are the details:I flew from Harrisburg, PA (KMDT) to Newport News-Williamsburg (KPHF)with FS Meteo, FS Nav, and Radar Contact loaded. I noticed from the national radar picture that I would be leaving clear weather in Pennsylvania and penetrating into some serious snow/rain/sleet/etc. as I flew south. What I wasn't prepared for was the fact that Oleksiy's weather radar REALLY WORKS!! I took off in clear weather with no radar returns on the scope or the map view of the EHSI. As I approached the Baltimore/Washington area, the nasty soup was apparent on the radar screen, and it wasn't long until I was in very serious IMC (Instrument Meteorologic Conditions). I was flying at 7500 ft, but got an altitude change from Radar Contact and climbed out of the soup at 12,500 ft. But as I approached KPHF and was stepped down by Radar Contact, it was a thrill to be enclosed in the stuff and to also see the extent of it on the WX Radar Scope. I landed at KPHF in conditions that were barely above minimums, with lot's of snow, etc. It looked really neat at night in the Dash 8's landing lights (yep, they work too, unlike many freeware planes)!My advice to all of you who enjoy the Dash 8 type planes -- get this one and learn how to use it. I predict you, too, will be thrilled by one of the most realistic freeware flight experiences of your simming careers. The download file here at Avsim is dh831003.zip. It is big, but worth it.Regards,Randy

Guest RiddlePilot

Are there any other paint jobs out there? I REALLY want USAirways (especially to fly to PHF)

Working wx radar and tcas on a freeware plane? Downloading now...:-kewl

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest ha5mvo

This panel is no doubt great stuff!!!still figuring out the mechanics, have not touched the avionics yet.One thing though, the flight dynamics..now,the landing seems kinda weired, there is some critical point where the plane shifts from "flat" descent (e.g. -500 f/m -3deg @130 kt) into a stone-like behaviour maintaining -10 to -15 deg attitude even when pulling hard on the stick.I was not able to perform a single smooth landing,so has anyone else encountered similar difficulties?is this a typical begaviour of turbo props of that class?

Guest ha5mvo

well, that's the point, it behaves like a stall where in fact it's not suppose to by the speed, attitude and flap setting. a stall at -15 deg? is that possible?

You should not stall with 15 deg flaps if your airspeed is above 90.I use the following numbers for approach/landing- level flight, manuovering cleanSpeed 150, torque 40%, rpm 1050- approach Speed 120, torque 10% - 20%, rpm 950, flaps 15 - landing flareSpeed 110, torque to 0 (thottles to flight idle), rpm 950, flaps 15I got these numbers from my friend louis, who got them from his son, a dash 8 pilot.Note: you should not normally be doing a flaps 25 approach unless you plan on comming in very steeply, and if you do, your rpm should be kept at 1200.Hope this helps

Hi Randy, Those sounds are one of the things that keep me coming back! I love takeoffs in this plane.Another amazing thing about the dash-8 is that depite the TCAS, wx radar and working 2-speed windshield wipers, this plane produces frame rates that are equal to any of the default aircaft - no frame rate hit at all! I don't know how Oleksiy did it.

How would you compare the VC to some of the payware i.e. SF.260?ThanksBobG

HI Agree 100% this aircraft is amazing.The sounds are just incredible, and the first time I heard Traffic ...traffic, nice or what, and you get educated in to the bargain, on aircraft startup etc...The only problem I have is the FPS hit, I,m down to 14fps whereas in the defaultAC i,m at 25fps locked at 25.As Ken mentioned no FPS hit I will reinstall to see if it fixes myFPS hit.CheersJon

>you experience in real life), avionics, etc are first-rate! I definitely applaud the author for providing this outstanding package. My problem that prevents me from enjoying this aircarft however is still rather poor in my opinion graphical rendition of the panel. The primary two instruments should have been bigger, perhaps some instruments on the right hand could be moved to another view allowing for larger instruments on the left. That would also improve landing-view-like perspective. Right now it tries to squeeze too much panel in the primary view creating wide-angle illusion. And then some slight overhaul to enhance overall sharpness, etc.Michael J.[link:jdtllc.com]http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

I'd like to fly this plane, but can't read much of anything. Yes re-sizing some of the other windows help, but the main panel, is very hard to read. In fact, I can't even tell you what's dialed up in the nav1 and nav2 displays, just yellow squares is all I see...oh well...

Guest abent

Could someone post a shot of this in the screen forum? I'd like to see this weather radar in action, so to speak. Maybe a couple of other 2D interior shots as well? This a/c sounds great. Going to find it now.Thanks, Adam

Guest RiddlePilot

I'm breaking rules here, I know...but as everyone knows, the text is hard to read in the first place...This is around St. Augustine, FL this afternoon. When I took off from Daytona Beach, there were heavy towering cumulus with a few CBs and my radar was almost solid red.And talk about smooth gauges. The attitude indicator moves just like a real one. No jumpiness what-so-ever. I think its because they're all XML gauges.GO GET IT!

Guest abent

SWEET!Are you using FSMeteo? I'm just wondering how the WX radar reacts to sudden instant changes in clouds/precip etc... ie going from 7/8 broken to say few scattered, or instantly overcast/rain to clear.Imagine how great that weather radar is going to be when clouds/weather is/are actually off in the distance (fingers crossed for the upcoming version of ActiveSky!). You would be able to see them on the WX screen and then slowly approach fronts and such. That'll make flying really neat. Then use RadarContact v.3 and deviations left and right of course will really be awesome! That would be approaching "as real as it gets" IMHO.Getting excited!!!!Thanks a lot for the screenie, Adam