Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

Oleksiy's Dash 8 and Working WX Radar!!

Hmm...I seem to be landing fairly well now, however, according to your landing config numbers, I appear to be doing it wrong. I thought (according to Oleksiy's sample flight write-up) that on approach, you put your rpm's to full (1200)in order to increase drag? Which is what I have been doing ever since version 1.001. However, I can't wait to give these numbers a go and start using a lower rpm on approach. Sounds like I could be doing a much cleaner landing with this config! There are times when I land somewhat hard, but most of the time, I land quite well! ;-) Thanks for those suggestions Ken!Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Guest RiddlePilot

Actually, I'm a beta tester of Active Sky wxRE. A new build just came out last night and I took the opportunity to check it out with the nasty weather that passed through today. I was more looking outside at the smooth cloud transitions, than what the radar was doing, but it did change as the clouds did.I've never seen that thin cirrus layer over top of the cumulus below like what was in the SS. These are the kind of things you can look forward to with wxRE. Damian (the author) is truly gifted in this field. We give him ideas to improve or things to add...it's done, RIGHT, in the next build.

Hi Adam,What you are asking for is exactly what I experienced when I opened this thread. I could see the weather approaching the aircraft before I was actually in it! The weather front looked awesome and intimidating at the same time!!To all viewing this thread: (1) I use a 17" monitor set at 1280 X 1024 and everything is legible to my old eyes -- I'm getting close to retirement, ok :-)(2) I practiced flying this plane at 7,000 ft for several hours until I felt comfortable with the avionics, the autopilot and it's many modes, the Touch Control Steering (TCS) for heading, pitch, roll control (also simply awesome once you get the hang of it.) The autopilot modes require significant practice to really make the plane operate smoothly -- you can easily dump out of one mode into another one, if you aren't careful with what you are doing (sure would be nice to have someone in the right seat for help!)(3) I then shot approach after approach on the KPHF rwy 7 ILS experimenting with speed, localizer capture, glideslope capture, engine settings, propeller rpms, etc. The post given above suggesting settings for approaches is pretty much right on target for this plane.(4) Again, the bottom line is this -- if you want a very realistic flight experience and are willing to put in the practice time, this plane will reward you with an immersion in sights and sounds like no other freeware plane I have ever flown!! And it's going to get better because version 2 next spring will have a fully functioning FMS!Thank you , Oleksiy!!Randy

Guest abent

Randy, This sounds fantastic. How did you manage to get FSMeteo to create a front off in the distance? Mine ALWAYS just snaps from one type/density of clouds to another. Changes are anything but smooth and I've played with all the available settings in order to get smooth transitions in FSMeteo. I use downloaded FSMeteo METARS (offline config) which I believe is updated more frequently than online METARS. Maybe you are getting more accurate info and it's somehow being updated in a better manner.What you are achieving is, as you say, precisely what I'm looking for. You are a lucky man and I envy you! Can I come over and play on your computer? :-lol Thanks a lot,AdamMy intent in this post is certainly not to turn this into a discussion of FSMeteo, but just thought I'd slip in the query.

Hi Gord, I don't remember what the documentation says, but I find that I just can't land with rpms at 1200. Using the numbers I posted, I can land well consistently.

I am using WinME and not WinXP. I followed the installation instructions to the letter, I believe. The gauges don't show up. Most of the panels are visible at once. I tried using FSPanelStudio to view the panels. It gives me an error that there is a missing dll file in the Modules folder. If I put the gdiplus.dll file in the Modules folder FSPanelStudio will unpack the gauges. I then left the gdiplus.dll in the Modules folder as well as in the main FS2002 folder, as the installation instructions stated, and the gauges still don't show up in FS2002. The Dash9A11 gauge is in the FS2002 gauges folder OK. If I am missing something in the installation please advise. The sound does not work either. All of the sound files are in the right place. Thanks, Bob.

Guest Dominik Mann

Does anybody know how to "copy" the WX radar and TCAS to another panel? Haven't had time to fly the -8 yet, but from what I am reading here it might come real handy.Cheers,

fsmeteo 5.2 has an option to get the weather for FS Flight Max. And the way this (get weather) function works is getting the weather way ahead of you from nearby reporting stations. So, it's the equivalent for what you are asking. But you need FSMeteo + FS Flightmax