Sign in to follow this  

Am I Searching Wrong?

Guest mikehaska

Hi all,I want to find the Northwest DC-10 by FFG, but the links from their page don't work.So I use the search feature to find it, but when I type in FFG DC-10, I only get three files: the updater, JAT DC-10, and a vapor trails package.So I search for FFG, and I get pages and pages of files from them.How come a search for Northwest DC-10 doesn't work. Neither does searching for just DC-10. Is it my syntax?

Mike, I'm guessing that FFG has the links incorrect on their site as they didn't work for me either.Is this the NW DC-10 you were wanting?FFG DC-10In this case, you had the filename from FFG webpage. You could copy and paste this using the extended search in our library. The extended search will allow you to fine tune your search more than the search box on the main page. The extended search has a field for filename that took me straight to the file I linked to above.

Guest mikehaska

Thanks, Scott- I went through the 50 pages of FFG stuff to get that last night, anyway...Any idea why the searches aren't working? Another example, I was looking for the vapor trails package, but when I search for vapor trails I only get package two, not one... not even a search for the author's name worked.

>Thanks, Scott- I went through the 50 pages of FFG stuff to >get that last night, anyway... >>Any idea why the searches aren't working? Another example, I >was looking for the vapor trails package, but when I search >for vapor trails I only get package two, not one... not even >a search for the author's name worked. Well Mike, I haven't seen a reason to believe the search isn't working. That is how I found the FFG file last night, using the search. You have read the help page on using the library to make sure you aren't trying to get the search to do something it cannot do, correct?When I did a quick search for "vapor trails" I got 13 hits under MSFS aircraft that included the phrase "vapor trails" in the description. I'm not familiar with these "packages" you are referring to. If you give me the author's name you are looking for, I'll see if I can get it to turn up anything on that. And you are sure this author has uploaded something?

Hi, if I may jump in, I'd like to report something I noticed. If you search for part of a word, you get no hits, if you search for a full word, you get what you need. Here's an example. Search for "traffictool" (without an S at the end). It returns nothing. Search for "traffcitools" (with the S), it will give you what was needed. This applies to both quick and advanced search. If you exrapolate that, it means searching for "737" won't return any hits which are written as "B737".Shouldn't both these searches return the same thing ? Maybe you add a space to the search query, so it only looks for full words... just wondering.Thanks in advance for any reply.__________________________________________________________EricUPDATED: List of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

>Hi, if I may jump in, I'd like to report something I >noticed. If you search for part of a word, you get no hits, >if you search for a full word, you get what you need. Here's >an example. Search for "traffictool" (without an S at the >end). It returns nothing. Search for "traffcitools" (with >the S), it will give you what was needed. This applies to >both quick and advanced search. If you exrapolate that, it >means searching for "737" won't return any hits which are >written as "B737". >>Shouldn't both these searches return the same thing ? Maybe >you add a space to the search query, so it only looks for >full words... just wondering. There is this small note directly under the search box on the main page:You can search for text or filenames. Wildcards (* and ?) are understood.And then on the help page, this is taken from the how to use the search function:How To SearchThere are two ways of searching -- Quick Search (which is available on every normal Library page), and Extended Search. Both of these searches share a common method of how to input your search terms.Below are a few examples of how to search, based on the Quick Search method:Entering airbus will find all downloads mentioning the word 'airbus' in or below the category you selected in the drop-down box. This means that if you select "AVSIM File Library" from the drop-down Category box, you'll search the entire library. Entering fs200* will find all downloads mentioning a word beginning with 'fs200', for example, 'fs2000' or 'fs2002'. Entering airbus a340 will find all downloads mentioning the phrase 'airbus a340', again, based on your category selection. Searches are case-insensitive.Quick Search has also now been made more intelligent. By default, it will search the Name, Description and Author for whatever criteria you enter, as described above. However, if your criteria mentions .zip then Quick Search will assume you are specifying a filename or specification. This means that:Entering nl2000_v2.zip will search for precisely that filename in the library. Entering nl2000*.zip will search for any filenames beginning with 'nl2000' and ending with '.zip'. Entering n?2000_v2.zip will search for any filenames matching 'n', one character, then '2000_v2.zip'. Basically, file searches function in the same way that DOS would handle them.Like the last sentence states, you need to plug in keywords in the same way DOS would expect them. It matches for exact results unless you use wildcards.