Sign in to follow this  

How is WindowsXP SP1 working out these days.

I know there was a big problem with WinXPSP1 at the beginning. Has the new NVidia drivers solved the problem. I'm getting ready to do a clean install and I'm thinking of installing SP1 but if it's still messing up FS2002, then I won't bother.

I have XP Pro with SP1 installed. I use the GF TI4400 with the newest approved drivers and am having no problems whatsoever. Good luck!KP

What big problem did WinXP SP1 have? I've been running FS2002 with XP since it was a RC version and have never had so much as a hiccup. MT.

Guest GabrielR

Yes there WAS a compatibility problem, both in WIN xp and in WIN XP SP1. I had multiple lock ups and frezees that were related to the hardware configuration in my machine.Fortunately, all of those problems were solved, and now my machine is running fast and smoothly!!Check out you have the las set of drivers, and that'll do it.

Every now and then I'll get the black boxes around the menues in 3D mode. Other then that, all is ok. I just don't want to turn of AA to fix the problem. I'm using the 40.72 drivers.

Guest SlimDady

I remember when SP1 first came out. everyone was complaining and stiff about it.I downloaded it about a month ago. And its given me no problems at all with anything.XP runs fine. no crashes and fast.

Hi,My System Spec:Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBoIntel Pentium 4 2.2A512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram3D Blaster4 Ti4400 (Creative's 30.82 driver variants tweaked with RivaTuner LOD -0.1 and Anisotropy forced level 8)Sony Multiscan G200 17" MonitorSB Audigy Player (Drivers version 5.12.01.0253 Signed)Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 HDs x 2 (60 and 40 Gig)CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and FighterstickPlantronics Headset and Mike comboPlexWriter 40/12/40APioneer DVD-106SWindows XP Home Edition (SP1)DirectX 8.1No problems whatsoever :)Mike

Guest gasebah

I never had any problems with all the new stuff.I am a gambler when it comes to new drivers and beta versions and have always been.I am running DX9RC1, Detonators 41.09 and of course XP with SP1.I have yet to wait for the slightest problem (o.k. well, since I installed 41.09 3DMark chrashes somewhere along the nature test and I consider the problem DX9 related, but FS2002 runs stable as can be).Alex

When I bought my new system a few months ago, it came with Win XP Home and SP1 already installed. I didn't have any lockups, but I did get distorted text in FS2002, particularly the FPS text. I also got multiple screens when I selected a menu item and FSNAV was very slow with some wierd graphics. Unchecking antialiasing would return all to normal. I updated from 30.82 drivers to 40.72 and all problems went away. All was as it should be until I loaded Combat Flight Sim 3 which loaded DirectX 8.2. Now, I have the same problems again when I use antialiasing, but strangely, not every time. I have not been able to pinpoint what triggers the problem. I reloaded 40.72, this time with the certified version, but no change.My next plan is to install DirectX 9.0 when it becomes available as an official release. I have heard that the Beta version cured some of the problems associated with 8.2. In the meantime, I just run my system at a higher resolution and leave the antialiasing off.P4 2,53 GHZ, ABIT TI4600, 512 MB RDRAM 1066, Gigabyte GA-8IHXP MBDale

Can anyone who has SP1 installed please confirm that the Fs2k2 menu "Go to World" and "Map View" features are fully functional. The loss of that info when I installed the initial version of SP1 caused me to uninstall it and I have been reluctant to try again.Chuck

jerrycwo4Windows SP1I bought the CD version of this a few months ago, and STILL have NOT installed it on the 1 year old computer that I have FS2002 on. It is running FINE, and , "If it ant broke, don't fix it" is a rule that I really try to live by. I'm still usuing the same video drivers that came with the compueter, a year ago, for the same reason.I only use this computer for FS2002 and to download pictures, from a digital camera, with a "firewire" to this computer. The main question that I cann't seem to get an answer for is,:I do NOT have the SP1 installed, so, so what? What am I missing (if anything) by NOT having the Sp1 installed. Can ANYBODY answer this question? Thanks, jerry

Jerry, SP1 contains, among other things, most of fixes for the many and varied security leaks that have come up since XP was born. I guess if you have received all of the notices from MS and been diligent in installing them, then a lot of what SP1 does has been done. I don't have it installed yet either because of the reported problems with it. But it seems that things are more stable with the newer drivers. I just mkght give it try.

Hi Chuck,I'm running XP SP1 and have no problems with either the "go to" or "Map View" features. They both work fine.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Mike - what happened to your post last night regarding RC3? Only the topic would show last night and it indicated 5 replies. Today I don't even see it. I was interested in reading your opinion.