Sign in to follow this  

How is WindowsXP SP1 working out these days.

Guest ScottPilot

I had Microsoft send me the SP1 CD and I have had NO problems with it whatsoever.I was using the 40.72 drivers, but I have went back to the 30.82's on my system, since Flight Simulator runs much better for me with those drivers. I was also having problems with Nview 2.0 locking up my computer on shutdown.Also, SP1 fixed many things with Windows XP, including the disk defragmentor. Before SP1, my defragmentor in win XP Pro would never finish. Now it is working great. There were also numerous security fixes.SP1 was well worth the install for me!Scott :-)My system:PIII 1 GHZ - 512MB SDRAMVisiontek Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB card30.82 Drivers (Best for my system)Dual 17" VGA Monitors120GB Hard Disk(s)CH Products Yoke and Rudder PedalsWindows XP ProMS Flight Simulator 2002 Pro

jerrycwo4Your opinins please,As I said the ONLY thing that is downloaded from the internet (on this certain computer)is "real weather". Should I, in this case, be concerned about "security leaks"? Thanksjerry

SP1 corrected a very serious file corruption problem I had after doing a defrag. A few files were corrupted and could not be addressed in any way without locking Windows (and requiring a complete reboot). They could not be deleted either, since they could not be addressed. And they then locked up the machine during XP's "scandisk" and (a new)defrag, or if you tried to copy them in any way.I was not surprised that XP1 fixed this problem (all on it's own), since this was a complete "take the machine down" flaw that ultimately would have required a complete hard drive reformat.Thank God they were just .jpg's that were not needed for anything, and could be isolated, by removing everything else from the folders they were in - and then just left alone.It was probably a bug in NTFS.Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card