Sign in to follow this  
Guest GiZBUG

FS2002 Specs etc...

I'm looking to buy FS2002, could someone tell me how well it would run on my 700Mhz Athlon, plus how much hard drive a standard installation would take up.Oh, and are there any essential patches needed?Thanks, I look forward to contributing to this community if/when I get FS2002. 777

The full install will take 1.8GB and there are no patches. More info is needed on the system specs though,i.e., RAM, video card, OS, etc. The sim scales fairly well (to a point) and runs acceptably well on a wide range of systems with the options turned off or down. Your CPU is on the low-end of the scale but maybe someone running that specific chip can give a more direct answer.Trip

You say that full install is 1.8 Gb, is it possible to install less - I have played FS98 extensively, with just the Chicago scenery actually installed, the rest running off the CD - or does this not happen with FS2002?RAM, 64Mb I thinkOS = Windows 98Not sure about the video cardScreen res 1024x769If it helps, my PC runs CFS2 and MSTS with near full scenery settings, at an acceptable frame rate. 777

hehe...I have a 600Mhz Athlon...There's actually still people here with the "classics"Well...all I can say is...I get acceptable fps (6-8) with MelJet a/c and most addon complex aircraft (20-22fps) with the default aircraft. (spot view)(cockpit view) around 30 with default panels and around 12 with complex (ex. PSS, dreamfleet etc.)I run FS2k2 with 256Mb ram which has to be a MUST! with this system.Loading takes about 40 secs for my comp.and if you have a video card that isn't at least a current geforce or ati card...you'll be missing out on alot of the detail.I run @ 1024 x 768 x 32 at 60Hz on a 15" monitor :To find out vid card: right click My Computer on desktop>properties>device manager>double click display adapters in the list.Donations for my computer will be appreciated. :)

The RAM's a little tight at 64MB that can be fixed cheaply. If you can run CFS2 OK I'd think that FS2002 at some reduced settings (almost nobody runs it with all the options maxxed) would be OK. And, yes, like FS98 you can do a partial install. I don't know how much HDD that will take but I'd guess around 600MB.Trip

Guest ba747heavy

I run it with options maxxed, on my XP 1700, Ti4600, and 512 MB RAM. I get 18 FPS max, no less than 8, and it looks great.To answer the original question, yes, it shoud work. However, more RAM would be good. I used to run FS2k2 on myold system. It had 256 MB RAM, TNT(2?) 32 MB card, 600 mhz, with settings modest, with 20FPS.

Thanks,y'all - but I think now I'll wait until I get a new 3.x Ghz P.C next summer before buying FS2002 - then I really can max it out! 777

Guest Coneman

Hey 777,Why wait if you can be enjoying it right now? I've got an older system: 700 Athlon, 384 RAM, TNT2 32mb card, and I have many of the sliders maxed, most importantly autogen and scenery. FPS slider locked at 13. I'd say get some RAM that can be used in a newer system and your good to go.Todd

This is what FS2002 looks like on a PII 350MB, with 384MB Ram and a GeForce MX400 64MB card:

Guest aca_dia

Im running a P3 800 with 512mb and a GForce 4 128mbI seem to average frame rates in the mid 20's on the ground and in the mid 30's in flight away from heavy scenery. I have setting tweeked up to about 80% and running at 1024 X 768. So you can do well enough with an older system. Just max out the ram and put a good video card in. Should work ok till MSFS2004.

Okay - seems good enough - I'll see about getting a copy of FS2002, since by the time I get my new P.C., FS2004 should be on the cards - not much point getting FS2002 just for a few months.BTW: What are the differences between FS2002 Pro and the regular version?I know Pro has some sort of editors like Gmax, and has a couple more aircraft - but are there any other differences, 'cos at the moment I think I'll get Std. Edition. (I don't intend to use editors, and I can download enough aircraft to make up for the ones I miss - can't I?) 777

My recommendation is get the PRO edition.There are of course additional aircraft and many newcomer-posts refer to a great-disappointment in not getting the PRO edition, mainly because certain add-ons only work with the PRO!When you get FS2002, post here again, there are some nice aircraft and sceneries to download and I will be happy to help point you in the right direction.I have certainly had my $50 worth of enjoyment out of it! :)Regarding FS2004, it has been rumoured (a Microsoft employee) that this may not actually happen for some time, based on other project time-lines.....

Guest GiZBUG

No offense but,give the "Search" function a try on the board.There are over 100 posts related to system specs and Flight Sim 2K2.Good luck>I'm looking to buy FS2002, could someone tell me how well it >would run on my 700Mhz Athlon, plus how much hard drive a >standard installation would take up. >Oh, and are there any essential patches needed? >>Thanks, I look forward to contributing to this community >if/when I get FS2002. >> 777