Sign in to follow this  

ILS Needles

On some aircraft, only one of the needles works (e.g. F-5, SF260). I now its probably something stupid, but what am I doing wrong?I drop the ILS frequency into nav one, make sure navigation is selected, but then no joy.

Guest nitram

Try putting the ILS Freq into Nav 2 aswell.Regards Nitram uk

Thanks Nitram:Tried that with no luck.I was coming in for a landing at KMIA in Nik's F-5. 0 visability due to fog. After droppingin ILS info (using FSNAV), I was only able to receive glideslope info and not localizer. Switched to C172 and got both. It may be some button I not pressing. Got this at other airports as well.Or do some instruments require you to get glideslope form the needles and localized from OBS course selector?Also in SF 260 I only saw needles for localized and not glideslope!Again, I stress its probably something stupid on my part.

Guest crashing_pilot

"Or do some instruments require you to get glideslope form the needles and localized from OBS course selector?"yup....they do..see ya..

Guys:Problem solved. Thanks for all the help. I was getting glideslope info, just not by needle but by the white tick on the side. Also had to dial in OBS course to get localizer needle to read, as Tom suggested.Told you it was something stupid!

Guest KenG

Well, I don't know what was really wrong but for ILS the OBS is irrelavent (at least for most GA gauges). You should be able to dial in the NAV frequency for the ILS and get both localizer and glideslope provided you are within range and not too high or to the side of the approach course. I've shot many ILS approaches for real and know that twisting the OBS to the front course is only done as a reminder. You could turn it 90

Guest crashing_pilot

may i point out to you that there is no such thing as a stupid question...only stupid answers..after all,we all want to have fun,and something like this can spoil it...glad you

Well, I suspect here is the simple answer.Not all vor's have glideslope/loc abilitity!That is why when you buy an aircraft, an "ifr" version is much more expensive. A training airplane like a 152 may have only one vor, and that will probably not have glideslope/loc capability.I don't own the sf260-but if it is an aerobatic plane it is possible that it is not equiped for ifr....You can change this of course by replacing the vor only instrument with one with glideslope/loc with a panel editor.And yes-the course you select on a vor or hsi will have no bearing on what the deflection shows on an ils approach.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

As indicated above, the SF260 does give glideslope infor by virtue of a tick mark on the left side of the guage. For whatever reason, Nik's F-5 (probably the best military jet I've seen)does require you to input ILS heading to get the localized alive.By the way, you owe it to yourself to check out the SF260. It really does handle realistically throughout the envelope. Slips are great, and I enjoy taking off in this beauty (or riding the edge of the stall at any point in the flight).Keep those great realworld pics coming.