Sign in to follow this  
erict

How is the new flight1 dc9

Guest SlimDady

I only purchas small ga aircraft. But iminterested in getting the DC-9 from flight1.Id like to hear what all you think about its good points and bad points.Like is the quality comparable to the 421

I think it's excellent. With the cold startup situation that Flight 1 released, the bird starts up in FS just as it would in the real deal. Steve Small did an excellent job on the FDE... actually makes you want to fly the departure out of KATL and navigate through the Delta birds scattered around like the equivalent of the asteroid belt. Personally, I prefer not to use the autothrottle that it comes with... manually adjusting the throttles is just more fun. :)If you have a love for the classic jet airliners with old steam gauges, the DC-9 is a must IMHO. Logged five AirTran flights so far, totaling nearly 9 hours and I've yet to see any major flaws that can't be corrected with a small patch (the ones that can are in slim numbers anyway).Definetly the best $24.95 I've ever spent for an FS aircraft. :D

Guest SlimDady

Whats your take on the Virtual Cockpit it has.From the shots it looks good to me, but they dont always tell all

Hi Mdriscoll,$30.00 dollars?I hope thats a typo as we are selling it for $24.95 download.Best,Jim Rhoads

Guest DanWalloch

The DC-9 is excellent, so clean, crisp smooth edges and with the DTX3 textures it's great for FPS. There already are multiple new textures that painters put out. Also, what I like is that it take a bit of understanding how to shut up the warning lights/bells. I give the sound guys 5 stars for the awesome realistic thrust reverse roar as in that real thing.

Sorry, I thought I remember it being $29.99. I've got my face so buried in checklists and performance limitation charts that I can't remember anything anymore.:)

Guest brewmaster

The new DC9 is absolutely amazing. After being spoiled by modern technology it is really fun and challenging to see how things used to be done. GPS can still be used if you really want it however I suggest flying without it.I cant say enough good things about the visual model and the gauges/panel are remarkably clear. After being let down by another product recently its refreshing to see the DC9 live up to and exceed my expectations. I think it is important we support and recognize these developers that put out good products so that others may follow.Brewmaster

Guest SlimDady

Cool not 1 bad thing said about it. I think ill have to buy it.. Thanks for all the opinions..

Guest jaapverduijn

I consider it my best add-on. I'm a bit of an oddball though: to me only the inside of the cockpit, and the things that can be done from there, or are experienced there, count. I hardly ever look at the aircraft I fly from the outside, nor do I remotely care what the "outside visuals" looks like. I can tell you though (I must admit I DID peep - grin!) that the oleo's compress and decompress, and that the wheels turn. Many people place great value on these things, and yes: they are there!About the virtual cockpit I can be brief: I hardly ever use any, so I can't tell you if this particular one is better, worse, or exactly like any other VC... I simply dunno and couldn't care less. The 2d panels are GREAT, and they are present in great abundance! For those with eDimensional Stereo glasses I must say that using these glasses the lettering on f'rinstance the overhad panel becomes slightly fuzzy; VERY slightly, but for my relatively bad eyes it's sometimes necessary to take off the glasses in order to see what's written. I don't think that's a Flight One issue though - I reckon that it's a (small) price one pays for the use of 3D stereo.Before I could print out the manual I ran out of paper, so I guess I must go and buy new stock: due to the thoroughly enjoyable complicatedness of the plane it's rather advisable to have a printed manual at hand, at least during the beginning stages of mastering this aircraft. It is FUN, really enormous fun to experience the intracacies of this good ole DC9!As for the flight behavior: since I've never piloted anything larger than Cessna 172 and Piper Cherokee, I'm not the most qualified of persons to comment on the flight characteristics of a jet airliner. However, considering the care that went into the whole thing, I'm quite satisfied that within the limits of FS2002 the Iron Knuckles DC9 behaves exactly like it should. It FEELS right, and is a joy to fly.Again: I consider it my best add-on right now. I divide my time between the MAAM R4D and the IK DC9, and I sometimes wonder (Jim Rhoads, this is to you - grin!) what would happen if Flight One decided to make their very own DC3...? Wow! My credit card is burning in my pocket!Oh, I nearly forgot: I got rid of the indigenous cockpit sideviews (the "virtual" ones) and replaced them with 2d sideviews from the bahnhof.se crowd. It's relatively simple (even I could do it...), and now I am 100 percent happy with the IK DC9.I don't think anybody will ever regret buying this add-on.Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

The only caveat that you need to be aware of is that the panel has problems at very high resolutions. If you don't use anything approaching 1600*1200 you'll be fine. However, at those resolutions there is some bitmap corruption that is irritating but not fatal.AndyEGTR

>The only caveat that you need to be aware of is that the >panel has problems at very high resolutions. If you don't >use anything approaching 1600*1200 you'll be fine. However, >at those resolutions there is some bitmap corruption that is >irritating but not fatal. >I've read about that, and still havn't seen it while running at 1600*1200*32 on a 22" monitor. Didn't it have to do with the center pedestals......or something?L.Adamson

F1 claim it's a resource thing with nVidia TI cards. If you're not using one of those, you may not be affected.

I think it's a great flight sim aircraft, The flight model is excellent except that it seems overpowered, or perhaps the drag factors are too low - I find I am nearly in idle with 40 degree flaps, gear down, and a substantial load of passengers and cargo. The 2D cockpit is very good - my only complaint is that I would like a flap gage on the main panel - not accurate, but then the real thing has 2 pilots! This pane would be a challenge to fly with VATSIM. The virtual cockpit is not very good, in my opinion. I personnally don't care about virtual cockpits in this type of aircraft, because most flights are IFR. There are already a lot of repaints available. The systems force you to study the manual a bit, but there are lots of tips available on the support forum. Dale

Guest TimD

"I've read about that, and still havn't seen it while running at 1600*1200*32 on a 22" monitor. Didn't it have to do with the center pedestals......or something"To be specific, it is usually not high resolution per-se, but not using a screen resolution that uses the conventional 1.33 ratio of width/height. And sometimes it is caused by a certain (and unpredictable) hardware configuration. The NVidia Ti cards do seem most vulnerable, however, I have one of these chipsets, and like you, I have not experienced a problem at any screen resolution.http://www.fsheartland.net/images/Signature_F1.jpg