Sign in to follow this  

Rain and snow effects coming soon

Some good use of lateral thinking here! I would never have thought of using the smoke system to trigger weather. Good work!Now if you can just find a way of making the runway look wet, with a few puddles here and there...;-)

I uploaded it into the library Sunday PM, but I haven't seen it available yet. It probably takes a couple of days. It was my first upload so I hope I didn't screw it up.I have tried to get a wet look on the ground from rain, but the problem I ran into was that the grass or dirt or snow that surrounded the taxiways or runways would turn black and it was very unrealistic. I only experimented very briefly though and will make further attempts tonight. I'd love to use a reflective texture to get a better image, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do this or what the frame rate impact will be.

>I have tried to get a wet look on the ground from rain, but >the problem I ran into was that the grass or dirt or snow >that surrounded the taxiways or runways would turn black and >it was very unrealistic. I only experimented very briefly >though and will make further attempts tonight. I'd love to >use a reflective texture to get a better image, but I'm not >sure I'll be able to do this or what the frame rate impact >will be. I was joking, but maybe it is possible then??? I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Guest dogknot

I don't think it made it to the folks in the library.There's been quite a few new items listed that were uploaded after your stuff.

try uploading again, and maybe over at flightsim.com I honestly cant wait to have this!!!!!!

Guest Maul

Great program!Is it possible to use them both, meaning have the snow and rain effects on in the cfg file so I could switch from a snowstorm to a rainstorm or do I have to live with one or the other?MaulWho Wants To Fly The Big Jets In & Out Of Chicago O'Hare...I DO! :-wave

Unfortunately, you do have to change the lines in the aircraft.cfg to switch between rain and snow. You can change just the word rain at the end of each of the three smoke lines to snow or vice versa without changing the numbers. I think to initiate a change would require a programer's touch, something that I do not have. It kinda sucks to have to change it in mid flight when flying from a snowy area to a rainy area.BRNE

I do believe a program that interfaces with FSUIPC could easily manage the effects to match the weather conditions. I wrote a program that changes the sun texture to a disc when the time of day changes to dusk, and it was only a 7-liner.