Sign in to follow this  

The most important disadvantages with FS....

I thought i'd just sum up the most important things, to me that i feel need particular attention before the next version of FS comes out.I don't like the way the....Clear, crisp textures are fully loaded behind, once an a/c flies over a point. They should at least be fully loaded BEFORE an a/c has flown over a point because isn't it more important to see where your going than look behind? Ideally i'd like to see them all fully loaded all around the a/c for 10nm at least.3D clouds limit themselves to an approximate 1 mile radius around the a/c. There should be 3D clouds continuing all the way to the horizon.Rain/snow falls in a small area around the a/c's nose, i'd like to see it spread over at least a mile - adding to realism. Different densities of rain falling from place to place ie heavy rain/light rain.I'm not fussed on ATC, seeing as i don't use it much.. hehe... DANGEROUS PILOT I AM :-lolJust like to hear what others regard as their most important disadvantages with FS (ie Very few points)Cheershttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

Guest Panman

I have crisp clear textures as far as the eye can see both in front and behind the aircraft as well as both sides.Not sure what you are talking about here.

Your textures obviously refresh quicker than mine then hehe.I'll do abit more tweaking about to see what i can accomplish

My pet peeve is being cleared to land, #1 on final with an GA aircraft, only to have a AI 737 buzz over your head to land and then I am told to go around! The present ATC has no sense of aircraft separation or the difference in airspeed.Dale

Guest PaulL01

>I have crisp clear textures as far as the eye can see both >in front and behind the aircraft as well as both sides. >>Not sure what you are talking about here.Could you please Post a Clear Pic for us?You are using Terrain mesh detail settings of...? No clouds, Visibility of at least 30 miles and above FL40 seem best to use to expose how well a system can deal with the FS terrain textures, you can add to that an area with complex/diverse texturing and terrain such as SanFran etc such as as with Similar speced sytems and I have yet to see Sharp textures out to the horizon, or even past 5 miles for that matter and would like to see your version of sharp textures and settings etc.Thanks,

Guest PaulL01

Nice post Will!Yeah, its getting near that time again to start the request for the nest version etc...To add,Would like the ability enabled for the terrain part of FS graphics engine to display 512x152 and 1024x1024 textures at thier full res Also to have Autogen scenery seperate from the asigned textures so that the Auto gen could still be defined by detailed landclass data and be displayed over custom textures (Photoreal of course :) ) That would help take scenery designing to a whole new level of detail as well as quick results.Add depth of color to the sky, so that when I pilot my Xb-70 upto FL740 it will look like FL740.Tree branches move to the wind and....Ok sorry :)

CheersI thought that after posting a while back a "wish list", we needed to define the main problem areas within the current version which we'd like to see improved into the next - thats why i've posted this.Hopefully if MS are reading this, they will be able to see the main issues that need to be sorted out before they begin adding new features. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

Guest cwright

A lot of people - but not everyone - suffer from this. It's known as dynamic blurred textures. It occurs because for some reason the texture mip map resolutions are updated *very* slowly, so in some cases you can literally outfly them! Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

>Clear, crisp textures are fully loaded behind, once an a/c >flies over a point. They should at least be fully loaded >BEFORE an a/c has flown over a point because isn't it more >important to see where your going than look behind? Ideally >i'd like to see them all fully loaded all around the a/c for >10nm at least. This is a classic FS2002 (and CFS2) problem, but I have noticed that CFS3 is completely free of this problem. Even after slewing (the X key) texture resolutions snap in virtually instantly. Unfortunately CFS3 suffers from bad static blurred textures. It will be interesting to see if FS2004 uses the new terrain engine. If Microsoft can fix the static blurred textures (probably by improving the performance of the terrain engine) then we could be in for a treat. But on the other hand....>>3D clouds limit themselves to an approximate 1 mile radius >around the a/c. There should be 3D clouds continuing all the >way to the horizon. Again, CFS3 is much better in this respect. As well as looking good, the 3D clouds extend out to much greater distances, depending on the settings. Are you aware of the map trick in FS2002? Open the look-down map view and minimise it. Zoom the map view in and out and for some settings distant clouds suddenly become 3D again, vastly improving the cloud display. Unfortunately it will reduce the frame rate a bit, due to the map display. Very strange - if only Microsoft had added view distance options for the clouds.... Best regards, Chris

""I have crisp clear textures as far as the eye can see both in front and behind the aircraft as well as both sides.""""Not sure what you are talking about here.""Me too. It's nice having clean terrain all the way to the horizon. My visibility is set at 100 miles. Terrain Mesh at 90%. Everything else maxed. Using Paul's extended terrain settings. I can take the Talon out at Mach1+ on the deck and fly till my tanks are empty and the terrain keeps right up. No blurs. Running 4xAA & 16xAF.That's not to say that I haven't seen blurs on occasion. But rarely. I noticed some flying the Falcon50 when in outside view and zoomed in. Also have a half second delay in aircraft texture draw when switching to outside view in the Falcon50. As far as texture draw on airplanes and terrain, most everything else is instantaneous when switching views. Also, I'm running at 16x12x32 which it handles very nicely. No trace of jaggies anywhere. No swimming textures. But, I do see a slight twinkle in the 3d party trees by Gerrish. Not a show stopper though. Default trees are crisp; but don't like them. I've tried the two higher resolutions available to me with my 21" Sony and found that the 9700 doesn't have enough power to AA & AF at resolutions higher than 1600x1200 at 32bit color and the pic degrades. I end up with jaggies and swimming textures and blurs at the extreme resolutions. It's clear that a 256mb card is needed for that. Because the res' higher than 16x12x32 begin to lose quality, I would conclude that the only cure for the blurs is shear power or better optimized code.

Hmmm, tricky one this. *The* most important disadvantage is no sense of movement, but it's hard to see how a

"Are you aware of the map trick in FS2002? Open the look-down map view and minimise it. Zoom the map view in and out and for some settings distant clouds suddenly become 3D again, vastly improving the cloud display. Unfortunately it will reduce the frame rate a bit, due to the map display. Very strange - if only Microsoft had added view distance options for the clouds...."Erm,,,, yep, "it was myself" who discovered this here AGES ago to tell the whole flight simming community how to make 2D clouds go into 3D ;) (i believe people like Chris of FSW already knew about it, but hadn't made it public) - I was the 1st one to post about it, revealing this new feature (back then).http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3deb3be16daac29d.jpg

Flight Sim provides the users with a number of tweaks to attempt to tailor a wide range of user system specs or individual desires so that the sim is a real or as functional as you can make it. Then they provide Help menus that very poorly describe what a feature does, or what its impact will be if used. It is then left to the user to tweak a single feature, observe its impact and then try to divine what other feature may have been enhanced or adversely affected by the feature just adjusted. On many occasions the tweaks are not invoked after they have been selected, leading one to wonder if they have any affect at all. Example, ever turn off Mip Mapping or Anti-Aliasing, when they are not being forced by your hardware, and see no changes occur?Additionally, as is the case in the FS2002.CFG file, their are entries that can be tweaked in order to adjust or improve the appearance or performance of the sim, but the information guiding you to do so is omitted. Were it not for forums like this one, the features embedded in the program itself and available to the user would be overlooked, under-utilized, or mis-applied, all resulting in degraded performance of the sim. Likewise the ability to trouble-shoot apparent problems to determine if they are software or hardware related is also impaired because of the lack of clear and concise information from the manufacturer.Microsoft is fortunate that they have a customer base in Flight Sim that is so willing to deconstruct the program, communicate their findings, write third-party enhancements, and bear the expense of computer hardware and software upgrades, all in order to make the base product run as the manufacturer claims it will right out of the box. Were it not for the dedication of the flight simming community to discover and document how best to use the software, Flight Simulator would not have become a series of releases, but would merely have been a single release gathering dust on a darkened shelf, or junk lying in a local landfill.Just my thoughts. Rick